New Alienware Q3 2020

Permabanned
Which Vesa mount is best for it

Depends. Do you want a fixed arm type or one that allows the monitor to be moved about easily? Do you want it desk mounted or wall mounted?

Wall mounted is dead easy because you can just use a TV mount. Desk mounted is more prone to vibration, especially with a heavy monitor.

What I did was find a wooden monitor riser that lifted it six inches off the desk just to get those pesky legs out the way. Having said that, if I were you I would try it with the provided stand since it's really good quality. The legs don't get in the way much, and it is also tall enough. The monitor is so big you don't want it too high off the ground or you find yourself looking upwards too much. May sound odd but for business work the monitor needs to be a little lower than for games.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I was hoping I could attach to a monitor arm and free up the desk. i thought the unit itself was only 7kg anyway. Most arms manage up to 12kg

I have this one and it's rated at 10kg, I think it could take it easily. Depends how sturdy your desk is as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-DM351X1-Die-Cast-Aluminium-Warranty/dp/B00HYWNCCU

I'm planning to use the included stand as I have a deep desk (75cm), but it depends if it pushes the monitor too far forward. One of the good things about this monitor arm is it moves the monitor back and closer to the wall.

Associate
I think I will be looking to wall mount or desk arm soon, just to have it a bit further back.

Loving the screen in games so far and managed to get macOS to run at 85Hz over HDMI for work Mac so a nice improvement there too.

I would love to run the Mac on DisplayPort as well as my PC but I get annoyed changing cables each time and decent DisplayPort / KVMs seem to be hard to find at a decent price.

Soldato
Ordered AW2721D on Monday with an ETA of 11 May and it arrived yesterday! Bought to replace a 32" Samsung Odyssey G7

How are you finding it compares the 32" Odyssey G7. I currently have a 34" ultrawide and I'm trying to decide whether to stick with 21:9 or go for a more regular 16:9 32" monitor when I replace it.

Associate
How are you finding it compares the 32" Odyssey G7. I currently have a 34" ultrawide and I'm trying to decide whether to stick with 21:9 or go for a more regular 16:9 32" monitor when I replace it.
The anti glare coating is nicer on the AW. I'm not familiar with the 21:9 aspect ratio so can't comment on that..
The AW is a 27" screen compared to the 32" G7. The G7 was great for gaming and it did have this immersive feeling about it, but I use my monitor for working as well and the curved made documents and web pages look distorted and slightly weird which took some getting used to.

Overall, as a multimedia screen the G7 is hard to beat imo, gaming and watching videos/films it was great. The AW27 is a great all round monitor and more suited to my needs. There isn't much difference in the colour reproduction I found as well and both smooth as hell (240Hz).

If you're used to the bigger screen I'd go for the G7 unless you have to stick with 21:9

Soldato
The anti glare coating is nicer on the AW.

If you're used to the bigger screen I'd go for the G7 unless you have to stick with 21:9

Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting you mentioned the anti-glare coating as I had a Dell/Alienware monitor before my current Samsung and I found the AG coating far too harsh on both the Dell/AW. Whenever I looked at black text on a white backfound I could cleary see the AG coating "speckles" which I found incredibly distracting. I found the semi-glossy coating on my Samsung much nicer and cleaner when reading text. I have my monitor angled away from and windows/lights so glare isn't an issue for me anyway.

I quite liked my 21:9 display but I think If I upgraded a 16:9 32" monitor would be better.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Told you that you would love it!

Its a really amazing screen for the money until we get affordable mini led and OLED monitors IMO

Yep really impressed!

DSCF9465.jpg

Soldato
Anyone know how long the AW3821DW has been out of stock for, and roughly how long it might remain out of stock? Looking to buy one fairly soon as the new desk position in front of a window means my old cheap va panel isn't working for me...

Caporegime
Anyone know how long the AW3821DW has been out of stock for, and roughly how long it might remain out of stock? Looking to buy one fairly soon as the new desk position in front of a window means my old cheap va panel isn't working for me...

Pretty sure it was showing in stock a couple of days ago when I looked.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I ordered direct from Dell on Saturday, and it was delivered yesterday. The delivery time has slip to May on the website, but when I ordered on Saturday it had an ETA of 16th April, which was obviously wrong.

Soldato
Pretty sure it was showing in stock a couple of days ago when I looked.

I ordered direct from Dell on Saturday, and it was delivered yesterday. The delivery time has slip to May on the website, but when I ordered on Saturday it had an ETA of 16th April, which was obviously wrong.
Cheers chaps, will keep an eye out! Also if anyone has any near expiry voucher codes for Dell, I've posted in the wanted section.

Back
Top Bottom