New bike time.. choices..

Associate
Well with the sun showing its face and the garage has been empty since October time when I sold my gen 3 sv650. Looking for something more modern styling, some electrics would be nice, quick shifter, nice dash, would also like more power than the sv, not crazy amounts I don't want to loose the fun of thrashing to about a little.

I'm looking at around 8k. So far I've considered

Suzuki gsx8s. This is probably top of my list right now, has everything I want, hits just over the 8k which I'm fine with, a little concerned about its newness and the money I'll loose buying new.

MT09, probably more rowdy than I need, 2021, 2022 are pretty much in the price range, although pushing the limit.

KTM Duke 790, or 890. 890 is likely out of budget. 790 seems to tick the boxes but I'm hearing a lot of issues, mainly various leaks

Cb650r, love the look, I had the 125 a few years back. Well under budget, not sure on the inline 4. I'd like some punchy power low down

Triumph trident 660, under budget, ticks most boxes. Doesn't have much of a passenger seat and there would be the odd requirement. Probably not a great deal different from my sv power wise

Triumph Street triple 765. Ticks all the boxes on paper. Maybe too commited for my liking..

Z900, similar comments as with the MT09. More power than I need, doest come with a quick shifter..

The new Honda hornet sounds ideal but I can't get away with the looks.

Not sure how many here will have experience with some of these but I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do

Last edited:
Soldato
All I can reliably say is that I would not be getting a Triumph trident 660 if your coming from an sv650 - rode both and its an amazing bike but its power output is hilariously safe even compared to a sv650 that your wonder why you bothered.

I have a Honda F and I believe the R models engines are very similar...again if that's the case your be disappointed with the power in low revs.

I love the look of the Triumph Street triple 765 but haven't ridden it to give any valid opinion outside of that.

Associate
OP
I see your point on the trident.

I think I'm currently torn with waiting for the new gsx8s or getting a 2020 Street triple.
The xsr900 is cool, I've always liked them but I think I'd forever wish I have the newer model. That's unfortunately over budget

Associate
I see your point on the trident.

I think I'm currently torn with waiting for the new gsx8s or getting a 2020 Street triple.
The xsr900 is cool, I've always liked them but I think I'd forever wish I have the newer model. That's unfortunately over budget

I would test ride the Striple before committing. I test rode one and wasn’t that impressed with it.

Associate
OP
Got the call from my local Suzuki dealer. They've had a GSX 8S delivered. Off to see it in a few hours. I don't like the idea of paying the new bike price but it ticks all my boxes.
Modern styling
80ish horse power, plenty low down torque
TFT screen
Up and down quickshifter
Should have good ergonomics and decent range.

This afternoon may turn out to be a pricey one. At least if I do buy it I can't go spending a fortune on accessories as there are not yet

Associate
OP
Well had a follow up call from the dealer today. Estimated date of the 13th May which isn't too bad. I'm on holiday until the 11th so that works out quite nicely.

Quick pic of the dealers bike, but it's exactly what I'll be getting.
I find the black in person looks so different to the pics on Suzuki's site
AJmx8hn.jpeg

Soldato
Well had a follow up call from the dealer today. Estimated date of the 13th May which isn't too bad. I'm on holiday until the 11th so that works out quite nicely.

Quick pic of the dealers bike, but it's exactly what I'll be getting.
I find the black in person looks so different to the pics on Suzuki's site
That bike looks nice :)

I just ordered a new Yamaha MT10-SP last Tuesday (Dealer said it may come near the end of June )

Am just hoping it does come before my 2 weeks i have booked off work in the middle of July

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just had the call from my local Suzuki dealer that my bike has arrived... Currently in gran canaria so it will need to wait a few days.
Pretty excited to see what it's like

Back
Top Bottom