New Budget Gaming Laptop..

Associate
A little help please, as laptops are not my thing.

Looking for a budget/midrange gaming laptop for my father in law. He is getting on a bit, and mainly plays train sim classic, hidden object and adventure games.
His current laptop is dying, and runs his train sim at around 15 fps :p

Budget of £800, give or take. Narrowed it down to the Lenovo LOQ, as these seem to review well, and are are little more reserved in the aesthetics.

I have 2 options @ 15"

Option 1 is the 8th Gen. (Last Years). I5-13500H, 16gb ram, 512g SSD, RTX 4060, FHD 45% NTSC screen.
Option 2 is the 9th Gen. Ryzen 7 7435HS, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD, RTX 4060, FHD 100% sRGB Screen.

I can get both for similar money, (Just over budget) and I am currently leaning towards option 2.
I have no experience of Ryzen cpus, and can find very little info, other than it does not have an iGPU.

Any thoughts?

Associate
OP
mods ?
external screen usage?

tbh they are much the muchness.
the amd is lsited has 8 cores vs 12 cores. im ignoring threads.
the bace clock speed is better on the amd at 3.1 vs intel 2.6

not haveing an IGPU can meanpoorer battery life, but depends if using it on the go or not.

personally i think i would lean to option 2.

very little is using more than 8 core game wise as far as i know, and the increase base speed it better for overall performance over a long period of time on the AMD.
im just not to usre on the cache. L1 is questionable, L2 ok one per cove vers what appears to be total, L3 the intel has 2mb bette.

based on https://technical.city/en/cpu/Core-i5-13500H-vs-Ryzen-7-7435HS

there is pros' and cons to both.

long term the 8gb vram maybe a limiting factor.

i think i would go with the amd my self.
Thank you.

He never moves from his chair, so it will pretty much always be plugged in. Battery life was low on Priority. (Something I should have mentioned.)
No external screen usage.

I think the better screen and larger SSD swing it for me.
I could easily upgrade the SSD of course, but the less I have to get "Involved" the better.
He is never going to play anything that will push the 4060.
Pretty sure a 3050 or even 2050 would suffice, but with certain offers, the 4060 is £50 more. This seems a no brainer, especially with the extra V-Ram.
Just wanted to make sure the CPU was not a lemon.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ordered the AMD version this evening. £824.00 delivered

Further inspection of my father in laws laptop this evening shows its got a "HP Hexacore" CPU. :cry:
The pass mark score for that CPU is around 1700

Think he`s in for a bit of a shock.....:D

Back
Top Bottom