New build advice wanted - 5800X3D / Radeon RX6800XT / ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme

Associate
All, I am just a dad trying to make a 14year old very happy. I am of the generation that did some builds in the past but that was some 15 years ago... Totally out of date but trying to hang on to what I used to know and using some common sense, after much reading, I have pulled together the configuration listed below, but would welcome some advice and positive feedback on whether this is a good build or what could be changed/improved or simply does not make sense. Technically substantiated feedback would be preferred as I would like to learn something out of this.
Note that I would like this to be an over-clockable machine with potential to grow too - I see this as a machine to keep long term with possibility to look into water cooling in the medium term...

- ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
- Radeon RX6800XT Red Devil
- 32GB (2x16) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX - PC4-25600 (3200) CAS 16-20-20-38 XMP2.0
- 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro XT
- Be quiet! Shadow Rock LP, Low-Profile Top Flow Single Tower CPU Cooler, 4 Heatpipes, 120mm PWM fan, 130W TDP
- 1000W Thermaltake ToughPower GF1, Full Modular, 80Plus Gold, SLI/Crossfire, Single Rail, 83.3A, 140mm Fan, ATX
- Fractal Pop XL Air RGB, White, Full Tower Chassis, 4x 120mm fans, USB 3.0, E-ATX, ATX, mATX,mITX

Does this setup make sense? Have I missed something? Is something incompatible or am I throttling something with one of the choices? Also graphics card wise, I went for the Radeon instead of a GeForce 3070ti because I understand AMD now splits game loading between CPU and GPU and not sure it will work with the Nvidia...? I found it a particularly difficult choice...

Looking forward to read your comments and advice! Thank you!

Luis

Man of Honour
Can't see the 6800 xt red devil at OCUK, the 6800 fighter is £530 and 6800 XTs start at £600, is it in that kind of ballpark? If so, then I don't see a problem.

I'd get the MSI B550 Tomahawk (if M.2 limitations don't matter) or the X570S Tomahawk. That board is way overpriced and unless something changed I'm not aware of, the 5800X3D does not officially support overclocking anyway.

I don't know anything about the chosen cooler.

Soldato
A circa £700 motherboard makes zero sense especially at the end of a generation. If you aren’t in a rush to make a new build you could wait before year end when AM5 will have launched and will likely have support for at least another couple of CPU releases down the line.

Associate
Do you have a birthday coming up so need this for a certain date or can you wait until Spet and see what AM5 is like ? If you can wait a month then I would do so.

Like the others have said there is no need to spend that much on a mobo. I currently have both a MSI B550 and X570s Tomahawks running a 5900x and 5800x so I can recommend them.

Soldato
Associate
OP
A circa £700 motherboard makes zero sense especially at the end of a generation. If you aren’t in a rush to make a new build you could wait before year end when AM5 will have launched and will likely have support for at least another couple of CPU releases down the line.
I was wondering the same thing... even though AMD say they will keep supporting AM4

Associate
OP
Can't see the 6800 xt red devil at OCUK, the 6800 fighter is £530 and 6800 XTs start at £600, is it in that kind of ballpark? If so, then I don't see a problem.

I'd get the MSI B550 Tomahawk (if M.2 limitations don't matter) or the X570S Tomahawk. That board is way overpriced and unless something changed I'm not aware of, the 5800X3D does not officially support overclocking anyway.

I don't know anything about the chosen cooler.
Thanks, I'll have a dig around... I am starting to pickup that waiting a little longer may be the best thing to do to get the AM5... That may change things a bit...

Soldato
I was wondering the same thing... even though AMD say they will keep supporting AM4

AMD might release another AM4 CPU, who knows - they’ve been very vague about it. But I wouldn’t spent that much money what is essentially ‘old’ tech now with a new platform around the corner. If you need to get a build done just go with a substantially cheaper B550 solution and upgrade down the line. Will save you a ton of money. The Extreme is a really nice board but 99% of its features are going to be wasted IMO and it’s general performance won’t be any different to a good B550 board.

Associate
I have the Memory you suggested and I run mine at 3800 MHz with quick bios setting. It can go higher from what I have seen, but I have set it and forget it. I think it is decent Ram.

I might have to grab another 32GB since it has 25% off now

Back
Top Bottom