New Build Advice

Associate
Hi all,

I've been using laptop these years, now I'm thinking to build my first PC.
I myself is a Rog Fanboy, been using Rog laptop for a long time...

I've looked at parts online and come up with the following specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG Strix LC III 360 (ARGB)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4
Storage 2: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4
Graphic: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB (Still need to be decided)
Case: Asus GR701 ROG Hyperion
Power Supply: ASUS ROG THOR 850W Platinum II

Do I need something else to cool my PC? Or those specs are already enough for gaming?

I'm also thinking to upgrade it in the future if something is better than the current specs.

Man of Honour
Do I need something else to cool my PC? Or those specs are already enough for gaming?
The included case fans should be sufficient. The CPU can be cooled with a ~£35 Phantom Spirit, so you certainly don't need a £200 AIO!

Suggested changes to save money, if you can accept the TUF branding instead of the Strix branding:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,148.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Man of Honour
Thanks! I'll look at it!
FYI: The main things to be aware of are the case and the graphics card. They're the ones that can add A LOT to your build cost. For graphics, the Strix model can easily be 30% or more above the regular retail price and for the case, it costs double (or more) than a standard case that can cool these parts.

Another alternative that saves some money on the case, PSU and motherboard.

The Asus card just has Asus branding, but there's very little price premium on the standard model and it is white which the motherboard heatsinks are and the case (partally).

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,887.94 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
Edit: forgot to include a cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
FYI: The main things to be aware of are the case and the graphics card. They're the ones that can add A LOT to your build cost. For graphics, the Strix model can easily be 30% or more above the regular retail price and for the case, it costs double (or more) than a standard case that can cool these parts.

Another alternative that saves some money on the case, PSU and motherboard.

The Asus card just has Asus branding, but there's very little price premium on the standard model and it is white which the motherboard heatsinks are and the case (partally).

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,887.94 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
Edit: forgot to include a cooler.
Your build gave me some inspiration. Perhaps I can change a little bit to the specs below:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,184.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

It's a little bit higher than yours, but still within my budget. What do you think?

£420 (incl. VAT)
£360 (incl. VAT)
£230 (incl. VAT)
£200 (incl. VAT)
£639 (incl. VAT)
£530 (incl. VAT)
£115 (incl. VAT)
£113 (incl. VAT)
£256 (incl. VAT)
£230 (incl. VAT)
£650 (incl. VAT)
£480 (incl. VAT)
£400 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
Associate
OP
what's your budget mate, that build seems like an absolute waste of money just paying a pretty penny to get the ASUS logo lol
Around £2000 it's fine. I know, but I think the brand vibe definitely adds to the whole build experience. Still, I'm open to checking out all the options. You can check the reply below, I made some changes.

Man of Honour
but I think the brand vibe definitely adds to the whole build experience.
that's a load of bs lol.
i'd rather have a 4080 super than a system with a 4070 because its "asus" :cry:

same price, no asus tax
4080 super and a 2tb ssd. 1tb for a £2k build is laughable
that's how much performance you're losing out
also chucked in a 360mm aio for good measure (also an asetek gen 7 system like the strix lc2)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,198.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There's nothing wrong with your choices, but I think it really depends on why you're getting the PC and what it is being used for.

I'm normally with @tamzzy on any new build, you should get the maximum performance first and the looks second.

To be more explicit, the difference between gaming on a 4080 Super and a 4070 is pretty darn big (especially if you play @ 4K), e.g. (in TPU's 4080 Super FE review):

4K average FPS (max settings) for the 4080 Super: 93.7 FPS
4K average FPS (max settings) for the 4070: 58.6 FPS

Soldato
That's a shocking amount of money to spend on a gaming rig with a 4070 (not even a super in it) tbh, if you're really after a certain aesthetic I get it but I'd argue that you're shooting yourself in the foot for the rigs actual intended purposes.

Even assuming you are stuck to the idea of Asus for aesthetic that PSU is pointless, almost any case you buy will hide it under a shroud anyway, you wont even see the thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Derik One thing i hope you understand about your choice of case is that it is massive (268 x 639 x 659mm). Also a 240mm AIO is going to look so small in that case.

I do hope you listen to reason and change your mind on the ROG theme as it is just to much money to spend on aesthetics.

As others have said change the case and PSU and get a more powerful GPU.

Back
Top Bottom