New Build Advice

Associate
Hi. My friend is looking for advice on a new pc build. I've put together one below which is largely based on what I have currently with a few changes. Would people mind giving me some advice on better components and value for money? I'm sure there's plenty of improvements that could be made but I wanted to at least attempt something before asking for everyone's advice?

He is looking to play all of the Total War franchise on ideally max settings without issues as well as other similar games.

His budget is £1,000 however this needs to include everything including monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers and operating system.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I haven't listed a graphics card yet but I have a 3060ti so possibly a bit outdated for a new build now? I also feel like a lot of savings could be had here.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £918.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
His budget is £1,000 however this needs to include everything including monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers and operating system.
Does the motherboard need wireless?

Edit: I thought the RAM was 4x8GB, but it is 8x4GB, that's no good. There's a Team 32GB (2x16) kit at £56.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,036.76 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I haven't listed a graphics card yet but I have a 3060ti so possibly a bit outdated for a new build now? I also feel like a lot of savings could be had here.
Not outdated, for a £1000 build (including everything) a 3060 Ti would be a great option to have.

Last edited:
FYI: I made a mistake with the RAM (it is 8x 4GB sticks) and edited my post with a suggestion.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look through it. What would this be capable of in terms of playing games (4k? Ultrawide @ 1440p?) just so when I go back to my mate with it. Know you can't really say for sure with future games but just so I have an idea where about it is.

Out of interest how does this one compare? The processor isn't as good but I'm not clued up that much on processors however it has a 4060.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £860.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

What would this be capable of in terms of playing games (4k? Ultrawide @ 1440p?) just so when I go back to my mate with it. Know you can't really say for sure with future games but just so I have an idea where about it is.
Well, to be brutal, a £1000 build including monitor and peripherals is really a 1080p build at this point, but 1440p is doable with a 3060 in most games (especially with upscaling).

1440p UW and 4K in modern AAA games is really not viable (you're looking at something like a 4070 or 7800 XT as a minimum), but in older games you can do it no problem.

Out of interest how does this one compare? The processor isn't as good but I'm not clued up that much on processors however it has a 4060.
Daniel Owen made a really long YouTube video on the 3060 12GB versus 4060 thing and in the end, he decided the 4060 just edged it (e.g. faster raw performance, newer features and lower power), but it is finely balanced on the price.

The CPU in my build (12600K) is way faster in games and productivity.

My build also has a better/faster SSD, double the memory (if you change it to my suggestion), a much better PSU and a nicer aftermarket cooler instead of a stock one.

I have a AM5 build for you assuming you already own the 3060ti.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £858.78 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Motherboard is in stock elsewhere for £145 delivered (saves £15 on the above list)
The cooler can be had instock elsewhere.
The case is large and comes with 2 fans included
Windows 11 licence for about £15 and windows 11 dl from microsoft directly for free.
Leaves £140 to upgrade the above or just save the money. Better keyboard and mouse

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £79.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
Speakers​
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £34.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom