New build and need advice...

Associate
Here is what I'm planning to order:

Code:
1 X Intel Core i7-14700K (Raptor Lake-S) Socket LGA1700 Processor - Retail - £368.99
SKU: PRO-INT-00800
1 X Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) Aluminium Full-Tower - Black - £149.99
SKU: CA-77K-LL
2 X Lian Li ST120 Addressable RGB 120mm Black Fan with Controller - Triple Pack - £34.99
SKU: FG-00P-LL
1 X Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe Solid State Drive (SNV2S/1000G) - £61.99
SKU: HD-10U-KS
1 X Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X WIFI7 (LGA 1700) DDR5 ATX Motherboard - £284.99
SKU: MOT-GIG-01687
1 X Intel Master Key - Star Wars Outlaws - £0.00
SKU: DIG-INT-02254
1 X Corsair Vengeance RGB 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 PC5-52800C32 6600MHz Dual Channel Kit - £259.99
SKU: MEM-CRS-01225
1 X Lian Li Galahad II Trinity AIO 360mm ARGB CPU Water Cooler - Black - £134.99
SKU: HS-00L-LL
Grand Total: £1,330.92

I'm just wondering if the setup is ok especially the mobo and the ram? The gpu I already have (Zotac 4080 Trinity).

Associate
What's your planned use? You really need 64Gb ram? Nothing really wrong with anything but it is leaning towards vanity with a few things could save a bit of money without losing any performance.

Associate
OP
Strictly gaming and Scrivener? If you could recommend anything that would save money, I'll probably go with it. I'm not a pro at building PC's and just fancied a go at it. Current PC isn't worth the desk its resting on which is why I decided to build something else.

***EDIT*** I picked that case because I have 4 HD's all movies and mp3 that I view with PowerDVD. 1 for mp3, 1 for movies, 1 for games and one for Launchbox.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah looks similar to what I just got and no problem running outlaws etc. I f it's what you fancy go for it you could spend days, weeks changing things and end up in a similar place.

Associate
OP
Yeah looks similar to what I just got and no problem running outlaws etc. I f it's what you fancy go for it you could spend days, weeks changing things and end up in a similar place.
Thanks. It sits neatly under £1500 which was the budget for all the parts excluding the GPU. I did do a bit of research and it does seem like a good mix which will offer power and low temps.

Associate
Yes it looks very decent tbh. It's worth probably going a bit over as games are getting bigger and using more power nowadays. Future proofing to a degree obviously no thing is future proof but you look to have plenty in that.

Associate
And yeah I agree if you had to save Ram would be my first port of call. I have 32 and seems plenty tbh. Nothing wrong with having extra just games aren't in that area yet. Enjoy love your tower btw.

Associate
I think a 2TB M2 or bigger would really benefit you down the line for not much more budget increase, way things are going some games could take 1/4 of that, many games already over 100GB installs. Could see that 1TB rapidly running out of space depending on your planned usage.

Associate
OP
Is there a cheaper water cooler for a 14700k? It must keep temps low and be a 360.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1 X Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) Aluminium Full-Tower - Black - £149.99
2 X Lian Li ST120 Addressable RGB 120mm Black Fan with Controller - Triple Pack - £34.99
If you switch to a case like Lian Li's 216, you wouldn't need to buy any fans, unless you want to.

Is there a cheaper water cooler for a 14700k? It must keep temps low and be a 360.
The cheapest cooler is to just buy a peerless assassin or phantom spirit for around £35. If you're only gaming then they do the job, though I'd strongly recommend enabling the Intel power limits or setting your own.

1 X Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe Solid State Drive (SNV2S/1000G) - £61.99
You have a pretty high-end system there, but the NV2 is a bottom of the barrel drive.

1 X Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X WIFI7 (LGA 1700) DDR5 ATX Motherboard - £284.99
Nice board, but you could get a Z790 £100 cheaper and you're unlikely to notice.

1 X Corsair Vengeance RGB 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 PC5-52800C32 6600MHz Dual Channel Kit - £259.99
Those will be dual rank, so I'm not sure if a 14700K can usually run 2x32 at 6600 C32. If it doesn't, I guess you could drop it down to 6200, 6000 or something like that.

Soldato
Strictly gaming and Scrivener?

Which games? There are very few games that need or benefit from 64 GB but they are out there. DCS World is one of them. I think Cities Skylines 2 is another but I am not sure.

BTW if you're gaming then the Ryzen 7800X3D should be your preferred CPU.

***EDIT*** I picked that case because I have 4 HD's all movies and mp3 that I view with PowerDVD. 1 for mp3, 1 for movies, 1 for games and one for Launchbox.

Do consider moving your games to a NVME drive. It will make a huge difference in load and save times.

Associate
OP
I play resident evil games, fighting games like SF6, MK and Tekken. I play a lot of COD and Warzone, Hell Let Loose is another brilliant game. But yeah if it's new and is an FPS, MMO, Fighting game etc I buy it. I have a 4k 43" gaming monitor 144hrtz which is why I got the RTX 4080.

I know your right because I just tested it. Yes it's a crappy nvme but stuttering in MW3 is non existent now since I moved it to the nvme. So, yeah, I'll take your advice and bump up the nvme storage to 2tb.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Which games? There are very few games that need or benefit from 64 GB but they are out there. DCS World is one of them. I think Cities Skylines 2 is another but I am not sure.

BTW if you're gaming then the Ryzen 7800X3D should be your preferred CPU.

Do consider moving your games to a NVME drive. It will make a huge difference in load and save times.

No way am I buying a 7800x3d. in fact, I'm never going AMD again. I have two friends, one has an i7-14700k, the other has a 7800x3d CPU. The i7 14-700k runs rings around the 7800x3d. Plus over the years whenever I've chosen AMD, their CPU's consistently pack less of a punch than the Intel ones. Now, those two friends have a similar setup except for cpu. Intel outperforms amd on the same games by a large margin. This is why I picked the i7.

Last edited:
Associate
if you want an air cooler then the arctic below is excellent. Specifically with the intel cpu, it beats the peerless assassin too...and the fans clip into the cooling fins so look nicer too...if you don't want an aio that is

the 011dXL case is pretty huge...you'll get a big gap on the side as the 3 fans don't really fill the space. I have the 011d evo, and there's still loads of space in that...newer version doesn't have the support bar on it between front and side glass also if going mre for looks...i used the sl inf fans this time as I really didn't want to hook up another 9 rgb fans with all the wires etc..the daisychaining is so much easier, quicker, cable management better...I paid up but will do again...not going back to single fans with individual power and rgb wires again

My basket at OcUK:

Associate
edit...just be aware, 14700k is end of life now, and new cpu/mobo's will be launched towards end of year, so no real upgrade path...as long as you're happy with that....new mobo's you can see if you just yt computex from a month ago, they were all on display

Man of Honour
No way am I buying a 7800x3d. in fact, I'm never going AMD again. I have two friends, one has an i7-14700k, the other has a 7800x3d CPU. The i7 14-700k runs rings around the 7800x3d. Plus over the years whenever I've chosen AMD, their CPU's consistently pack less of a punch than the Intel ones. Now, those two friends have a similar setup except for cpu. Intel outperforms amd on the same games by a large margin. This is why I picked the i7.
The 14700K is very much faster in multithreaded work (by a big margin too), but in the vast majority of games the 7800X3D is the superior CPU and has much lower power consumption (TPU's average power in games was 132 for the 14700K and 49 for the 7800X3D, review here). There are no hardware news or technology websites/channels that I'm aware of where this is not the case. I can't say why your friends have had those results, but they're not consistent with any of the benchmarks.

I don't say this because I care which CPU you buy, I really don't.

Associate
OP
edit...just be aware, 14700k is end of life now, and new cpu/mobo's will be launched towards end of year, so no real upgrade path...as long as you're happy with that....new mobo's you can see if you just yt computex from a month ago, they were all on display
When you say no real upgrade path are you saying the new CPU's will require completely new motherboards? If that is the case then I might wait. What are we looking at CPU wise (new) that is?

Associate
When you say no real upgrade path are you saying the new CPU's will require completely new motherboards? If that is the case then I might wait. What are we looking at CPU wise (new) that is?
yup, next cpu 15th gen will require new motherboards LGA-1851 (though at computex they wouldn't even confirm the name of the socket, even though the mobo's from different vendors were on display...

below brief roundup of rumours etc

Last edited:
Associate
so below you can see a lot of the new boards on the wall. hardware unboxed also does a vid here...intel had an embargo going so no one could actually say what the new socket will be called, and they didn't reveal anything about the new cpu's, unlike amd, whose new 9000 series get released end of this month, and promise of support of current socket into 2027 and beyond

I'm runnig a7800x3d and don't have any issues with it at all as a side note...what's the problem with your friends? about to have a new work pc with a 14700k in it, so will be interesting to see how it compares as i get to wfh also

Back
Top Bottom