New build - c£1,500 spend (less is better!)

Soldato
Hi all - after playing AC:Odyssey on my current machine I'm getting the itch for an upgrade so I can play the game in even more graphical glory. I'm potentially looking at the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,507.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

I don't really want to spend £1,500 (although I can), £1,000 has been my previous target amount. I'm planning on cannibalising case, monitor, PSU, kb and mouse from current setup so that's one lot of savings already accounted for!

Some current thoughts on the build, small SSD for O/S and other routine software, larger SSD for games which are hard drive intensive and could use improved loading times (e.g. Total War games) and HDD for everything else. I use a dual monitor setup using two 27 inch Dells, although I can't remember the exact model. Graphics intensive games I don't play too often, but things like AC:Odyssey come along and they do tax my current machine.

Can anyone suggest any potential improvements/savings?

Current stuff:

Code:
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 - Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU & Motherboard Bundle **£43 Saving**

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclock 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (04G-P4-1972-KR)

Western Digital Caviar Red 3TB SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache WD30EFRX - OEM HDD

EVGA SuperNova G2 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Mid Tower Enthusiast Case without Window

TeamGroup Xtreem LV 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-21300C11 2666MHz Dual Channel Kit (TXD38G2666HC11CDC01)

Soldato
your at the tipping point, in theory your CPU is damn good and has been fine for so long , like older i7s with 4 cores but finally some games are liking and needing the extra core count, AS:O being one of them =/

that would improve your game, specially with the GPU mostly !

clone your current main drive on the SSD or use it to create a Media creation disk on USB and buy a Key for £20

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,311.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

gtx 1070ti overclocked will hit basic gtx 1080 performance so saves a few quid

larger and same priced 480GB ssd over EVO if you want two SSDs​

Associate
Soldato
OP
Thanks both for suggestions. I'll have a think a bit more about keeping/replacing my current i7 - that was the first time I tried an Intel CPU and have been impressed so will probably stick with Intel.

GPU - if I stick with 4790 I'll get the 1080Ti, otherwise probably end up with the 1070Ti (I didn't think too much about the 1080i...) Over £500 on a graphics card would be a new milestone for me...

Soldato
Thanks both for suggestions. I'll have a think a bit more about keeping/replacing my current i7 - that was the first time I tried an Intel CPU and have been impressed so will probably stick with Intel.

GPU - if I stick with 4790 I'll get the 1080Ti, otherwise probably end up with the 1070Ti (I didn't think too much about the 1080i...) Over £500 on a graphics card would be a new milestone for me...

rendering 1440p would help but again, once you hit a crowded area, 4 core will struggle :(

Associate
Looking at this I think the i7 should still be fine, not perfect, but extra ram would help a lot. Seems to be running at over 8gb even in the menu.

Soldato
OP
I tend to get 30fps with slow downs in busy areas (and some textures don't load very well, had similar issues with Skyrim actually). RAM and graphics could be the key in that case, shame the right type of DDR3 is annoying to find now!

Associate
I tend to get 30fps with slow downs in busy areas (and some textures don't load very well, had similar issues with Skyrim actually). RAM and graphics could be the key in that case, shame the right type of DDR3 is annoying to find now!
Ask in the members market? Maybe someone has the RAM you need collecting dust.

Back
Top Bottom