New build help

Associate
Iv not kept up-to-date with the latest and greatest, but i think its time for an upgrade as its getting sluggish and not windows 11 compatible
only looking to upgrade the mobo, ram and cpu .
current specs are : i7 6800k and 32gb ram ddr4 vengeance 2tb m2, 3080
use is mostly work - with firing up linux VM's and also used for cisco router vms ( heavy on ram and cpu) and most evenings a bit of gaming.
id like to keep it under £1000 and i prefer intel over amd but if you have a good argument to go amd il listen.

Man of Honour
what are the exact specs of your current computer please
would you want to reuse any parts?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
il only need a mobo, cpu and ram. as long as it can take m2. 2280
case, gfx and psu will remain, il probably want a new AIO cooler as i doubt my h100 fits modern sockets

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Current specs are in the original post, unsure if this was edited. Does not give make\model of the mobo
it hasn't been edited. there are specs, but not the exact specs to make a reasoned judgement to advise OP on which parts to upgrade.
i would also want to know the psu and case etc
why? it would make a difference if OP was using an older/no name/ling long/hipower psu or a case that cannot take a 360mm aio or has poor airflow. same with the ssd.

of course i could just spec a 14700k core and be done with it...but may not be a tailored build

Last edited:
Man of Honour
il probably want a new AIO cooler as i doubt my h100 fits modern sockets
Corsair do supply kits to adapt their AIOs to modern CPUs, but I don't know exactly which kit is compatible with which AIO, because I think it depends on their OEM. I'd contact support and ask, or alternatively you could just get a phantom spirit or peerless assassin which for ~£35 can cool almost anything.

Man of Honour
Corsair do supply kits to adapt their AIOs to modern CPUs, but I don't know exactly which kit is compatible with which AIO, because I think it depends on their OEM
it also depends on which version of the h100 (as you said...OEM dependent, and also generation dependent)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Corsair do supply kits to adapt their AIOs to modern CPUs, but I don't know exactly which kit is compatible with which AIO, because I think it depends on their OEM. I'd contact support and ask, or alternatively you could just get a phantom spirit or peerless assassin which for ~£35 can cool almost anything.
id probably still want a new cooler as this has done years of always on service. but good to know you can get adapters.

Associate
OP
it hasn't been edited. there are specs, but not the exact specs to make a reasoned judgement to advise OP on which parts to upgrade.
why? it would make a difference if OP was using an older/no name/ling long/hipower psu or a case that cannot take a 360mm aio or has poor airflow. same with the ssd.

of course i could just spec a 14700k core and be done with it...but may not be a tailored build
im looking for just mobo, cpu and ram, its a full size atx board and i have a 1000w corsair psu
only requirement i have on the mobo is supports m2280 and virtualisation

Man of Honour
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £969.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

14700k = 8p 12e cores (28 threads)
gigabyte have the best vrm cooling for the price, review: https://www.techspot.com/review/2776-intel-z790-motherboards/
64gb ram ddr 6000c30 - if you don't want rgb the non-rgb version is £20 cheaper
sapphire aio cooler is an asetek gen 7

£420 (incl. VAT)
£375 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£260 (incl. VAT)
£225 (incl. VAT)
Associate
OP
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £969.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

14700k = 8p 12e cores (28 threads)
gigabyte have the best vrm cooling for the price, review: https://www.techspot.com/review/2776-intel-z790-motherboards/
64gb ram ddr 6000c30 - if you don't want rgb the non-rgb version is £20 cheaper
sapphire aio cooler is an asetek gen 7
this looks good, i dont need rgb in my life so il drop that part.. Ta

£420 (incl. VAT)
£375 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£260 (incl. VAT)
£225 (incl. VAT)
Associate
OP
OP is not particularly fortcoming with information about his current computer spec lol
it's like we'd rob him off it if he told us exactly what he's using
outside of my request of the components i want to replace that are all well out of date , i just dont see the relevance, i said the cpu and ram and what its used for. what does it matter the make and model of the motherboard and the ram is ddr4 im not going to reuse that .

Man of Honour
outside of my request of the components i want to replace that are all well out of date , i just dont see the relevance, i said the cpu and ram and what its used for.

^

which is basically what i did
you work in it and systems design, you should know what a pita it is when customers are reluctant to provide the "full picture" so to speak. exactly what you're doing. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom