I recently upgraded from:
i5-6600
Asuz z170 Pro-Gaming Mobo
16GB Corsair dominator ddr4

to:

i7-10700k
Gigabyte z490 Aorus Elite AC
32GB Kingston DDR

Basically an endgame upgrade; just waiting on the GPU's to come down in a price and that will be my 'dream-machine' scenario.

Everything is great except that the CPU cooler fan runs noticeably louder than before, constantly ramping up and down, sitting roughly about 50-60°C when I am doing simple tasks like browsing etc.. basically all tasks that were done before are now noticeably louder. I didn't expect a high-end CPU to run this hot in comparison to the i5.

Any recommendations? I have adjusted the fan profiles for noise levels but the fact that the CPU is spending more time in the 50°C region is causing me some concern.

Cooler: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-matterhorn-black-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-050-al.html

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Soldato
I didn't expect a high-end CPU to run this hot in comparison to the i5.

You’ve got a more powerful CPU with more cores produced on the same 14nm as your old CPU.

They do, unfortunately, run hotter.

However, some things you can check are:

Sufficient thermal paste
Properly seated cooler
Undervolt CPU

It may also be worth looking at your case cooling configuration - the higher thermal output may be hinting at poor airflow in your case.

Soldato
What MrRockliffe said.

You could try removing cooler, cleaning, apply TIM and re-seat just to be sure you have a good seat. If you are careful when removing you will be able to see the seat to get an idea of how good it was.

I assume this is in same case and fan setup?
Are you sure case is flowing cool air to cooler?
Link below to basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow might be of interest. It shows what I use to monitor air temp entering cooler vs air temp around case intake.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/help-with-fan-setup.18763212/#post-30354296

Soldato
If you getting higher idle temp spikes which is causing the cooler to ramp up then you could either add a longer delay to the cooler reacting to temp increases or set a flat fan curve to 65C then have it ramp up steeply from there.

V F

V F

Soldato
You’ve got a more powerful CPU with more cores produced on the same 14nm as your old CPU.

They do, unfortunately, run hotter.

However, some things you can check are:

Sufficient thermal paste
Properly seated cooler
Undervolt CPU

It may also be worth looking at your case cooling configuration - the higher thermal output may be hinting at poor airflow in your case.

That was the main reason I went with a 360 AIO as I had read so many complaints with noise levels for air coolers on the 10 series. Fan noise and constant noise changes is very irritating.

Watching any video streams the Z73 hovers around 30 - 32c, fan speeds 580rpm, pump 1900 - 2000rpm. Gaming is between 60 - 70C.

z73cpufancurve.png

Plus MCE running will spike the temperatures since it's enabled by default on the majority of boards cranking out even more heat.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the repsonses.

I have re-seated, cleaned and re-applied thermal paste and adjusted the fan curves for now it seems to be ok or either im getting used to it.

I think I might have to consider a radiator cooling solution once I start gaming though.

Back
Top Bottom