New build - low/mid gaming PC

Associate
Hello everyone.

Its been a long time since i last built a PC, but decided to have a go with my 12 year old son.

It's taken a while to get back into all the latest language and standards, but it seems that motherboards, CPU's and RAM still do the same job and generally bigger numbers = faster...... RGB EVERYTHING is a bit of a shock, but i don't mind and neither does my son.

This is the board and CPU combination I've purchased so far:

ASRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi and Intel i5-12400F CPU. My goal is a mid level gaming PC that i can potentially upgrade over the coming years to stay somewhat relevant. I know the CPU isn't earth shattering, but its very affordable right now, and the board offers me scope to upgrade to a 13 or 14th gen CPU when prices come down.

I'm looking for advice on the DDR5 RAM and suggestions on what to purchase.

As i don't intend to OC this PC, my main concern is purchasing RAM fast clock speeds, but i don't want to have to tweak it to get it stable. I've read that its probably not realistic to fit RAM at 7200, especially with a 12th gen CPU.

The ASRock B760M lists the following specs:

- Dual Channel DDR5 Memory Technology
- 4 x DDR5 DIMM Slots
- Supports DDR5 non-ECC, un-buffered memory up to 7200+(OC)*
- Max. capacity of system memory: 192GB
- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 3.0

*1DPC 1R Up to 7200+ MHz (OC), 4800 MHz Natively.
1DPC 2R Up to 6000+ MHz (OC), 4400 MHz Natively.
2DPC 1R Up to 5600+ MHz (OC), 4000 MHz Natively.
2DPC 2R Up to 4800+ MHz (OC), 3600 MHz Natively.

I already understand the benefits of only using 2 DIMMS and i know 32gb is probably overkill, but there doesn't look to be too much difference in cost to to 2 x 8gb.

I have been looking at 2 x 16GB Teamgroup Delta RGB 6400, CL40, as price looks pretty good right now (£105 at time of writing). They do sell a 7200 version, but in think its too risky.

Is there a safe speed trouble free speed i should aim for? Also, CL40 seems a little high. Should i be aiming for something lower?

I welcome any advice, tips or even other resources where i can check the best RAM combination for this build.

Thanks

Jon

Back
Top Bottom