New build... new SSD?

Associate
Hi guys..

I've been in the process of building my first watercooled PC and then after I ordered everything the new Maximus VI Formula caught my eye so I've been holding out for that. With that due to arrive tomorrow I thought a fresh install of windows would go well just so I'm starting with a clean slate.

Well, Rather than just start again I'm not sure if its worth it but a new SSD perhaps.

I currently have the crucial M4 128Gb version from a two years ago and I know that sizes have increased along with performance and prices have dropped.

My biggest problem was that my Steam/Origin folder took up too much space and so ended up shift everything around with my backup drive.

Would it be worth me buying something like the 256Gb Samsung Pro 840 and having that for my games and then keep the M4 as my windows/boot drive or would you do it the other way round?

I know that the Samsung has much greater performance figures and so my system would probably benefit more from that being the boot drive and then the games on the M4....? confused.com to say the least.

I don't want to get the SamPro 840 and then have a load of space on it thats unused and my lower performing M4 128Gb get full up.

Ideas/help/advice please?

edit: can you partition SSDs or is it not the same as old HDDs ?

Associate
OP
how much is the normal pro 500gb?

m4's are cheap atm from what ive seen maybe £50-£55 if your lucky

bugger. lol I was hoping it'd be a bit more than that to soften the blow now the Samsung EVO 500 is in my head.

If it could shift it for £55 if I were lucky (I'm not normally lol) I'd only need £45 to get the EVO....

Think I read they were out later this week which would be most pleasing to say the least.

Otherwise though the Samsung Pro 256Gb as primary with the M4 128Gb as my Steam drive seems like the right thing to do.

Associate
OP
Ah nice, cheers for the heads up. I'm sure I used quidco or something like it must have been a long time ago as I think it was Guitar Hero 4 I bought with the drums? Just forgot about it until you reminded me. D'oh!!

I think I'll try shift my M4 128 and set the money aside for the EVO 500. I'm in no rush as its my first watercooling build and once I've built it I'll need to leave the system running for a day or two just to make sure its not going to **** all over my new components.

Caporegime
Sorry to thread hijack but you are in a very similar position to me.

I'm in the process of upgrading and my current system is:
C: Boot/Windows 7 drive - Intel X25 80GB SSD
D: 1TB 7200 rpm for storage
E: Crucial m4 SSD (128gb) for Steam games

I'm transitioning to a new system and am only planning on bringing the m4 across. I've ordered a 250GB Samsung Evo which I was originally planning to use as a game drive for Steam, and use the m4 as my O/S Drive, plus i've bought a 3TB Hard drive for storage.

But would I be better just partitioning the 250GB Evo and allocating 100GB for the O/S and the rest for Steam?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have Intel ISRT on your motherboard then you could partition the SSD to use 20GB of it for caching a big mechanical drive (docs, games etc) and the rest as a boot partition for windows and other super fast applications (regular apps).

That's what I've had since the Z68 boards came out and it's worked rather well.

Back
Top Bottom