New build - no POST no signal to monitor

Associate
Hello, this is my first build in a very long time and I've already run into problems. My build specs that are of note at the moment:

- Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3-EU Intel LGA1151 ATX Motherboard
- Intel Core i5 6600K Processor Skylake 3.5GHz
- 16Gb (2x8Gb) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
- Cooler Master Hyper 212x 4 Heatpipe 1x Pwm Fan Tower CPU Cooler
- Cooler Master B Series B700 ver.2 PSU

Putting everything together following the manufacturers instructions I've gone to power up and get into the BIOS but I get no POST and no signal to the monitor whatsoever. All fans turn on, motherboard lights up and will stay on running fine until I turn it off. There are no beeps from the speaker (I did install it).

I went through the troubleshooting checklist on Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

On removing the memory I get 5 long beeps and then it reboots itself and does the same until I turn it off. I bought a 4Gb stick of Crucial 2133MHz memory and everything happens the same. I've tried each of the memory sticks in different slots, no change...still no beeps, no signal to monitor, no POST and all fans working until I turn it off.

As per Tom's Hardware troubleshooting I breadboarded the build on a piece of cardboard. All that is connected is the power (including speaker), CPU, fan and memory. Still no change.

At this time I'm suspecting that the motherboard is at fault but would appreciate a second opinion.

Soldato
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

are you using the on board graphics? if you are not remove the gpu and try using the on board one and see if it boots.

How did you install the cpu cooler? when tightening it up did you go from corner to opposite corner or did you go round doing each at a time? as this maybe done too tight.

Soldato
could the beeps be 5 short ones instead of long beeps at all? Having a quick look on the gigabyte website the only one i could see was 5 short beeps which is referring to CPU error

1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

did you get a stock CPU cooler with the processor or was it just the chip? could always try the stock one if you have it

Associate
OP
could the beeps be 5 short ones instead of long beeps at all? Having a quick look on the gigabyte website the only one i could see was 5 short beeps which is referring to CPU error

did you get a stock CPU cooler with the processor or was it just the chip? could always try the stock one if you have it

It's possible they are short beeps. On the other hand if the CPU was at fault I can't imagine the beeping would stop after installing the RAM?

No stock CPU cooler unfortunately.

So you can get into the BIOS but then the monitor goes blank?

Can't get that far, blank screen from the get go. No POST and no signal to monitor (tried 2 different monitors using HDMI and DVI cables).

Soldato
Maybe try a clear cmos, take out the battery out of the mobo, disconnect the power cable from the PC and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.

leave it for 30 mins or so and then put the battery back in and power cable and give it another try.

maybe try and loosen off the cooler a few turns on each corner as if this is done up too tight it could be causing issues

Associate
OP
Maybe try a clear cmos, take out the battery out of the mobo, disconnect the power cable from the PC and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.

leave it for 30 mins or so and then put the battery back in and power cable and give it another try.

maybe try and loosen off the cooler a few turns on each corner as if this is done up too tight it could be causing issues

Cleared the CMOS last night to no avail.

I will see if loosening the cooler a few turns helps.

Soldato
I think you might have chosen a bad motherboard for RAM. Looking at the BIOS updates there are three versions for improved DDR XMP compatability.
If you are struggling I`d be tempted to return the motherboard assuming you have checked everything like the 24pin and 4/8pin power cables are plugged in correctly.

Associate
OP
I think you might have chosen a bad motherboard for RAM. Looking at the BIOS updates there are three versions for improved DDR XMP compatability.
If you are struggling I`d be tempted to return the motherboard assuming you have checked everything like the 24pin and 4/8pin power cables are plugged in correctly.

24pin and 8pin power cables are plugged in correctly.

When you say chosen a bad motherboard for RAM do you mean I've selected a motherboard that's not entirely compatible or that the RAM sockets may be faulty causing my problem?

Is there any way I can rule out that it's a faulty CPU (without replacing it with a known working CPU as I don't have another)?

Soldato
Take out the CPU and inspect the gold contacts closely, especially along the edges, for any tiny specks of dirt/paste. That can also cause what is happening.

Associate
OP
CPU removed and checked and all is okay. Everything cleaned up and new thermal paste applied (pea sized amount) and connected again...still the same.

Still don't know if it's mobo or cpu. Any chance it could be psu or do my symptoms not match up?

Associate
OP
Thanks everybody for the help. Mobo is going back, finally heard back from CCL Computers and I've got my RMA number.
What if they 'claim' there is nothing wrong with the mobo, can I still request my money back as I'm within 14 day return service?

Associate
Thanks everybody for the help. Mobo is going back, finally heard back from CCL Computers and I've got my RMA number.
What if they 'claim' there is nothing wrong with the mobo, can I still request my money back as I'm within 14 day return service?

They'll charge a 10% fee because they can't sell it as new anymore...
Best to stick with ocuk or jungle river. Even if paying a little extra.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update:
Bought a new mobo earlier this week (Asus Z170 Pro Gaming), connected everything up and all works perfectly as it should. Still waiting to hear from CCL Computing about the one I sent back, no doubt now that it was faulty.

Thanks for help everyone, I'm up and running.

Back
Top Bottom