New build, ok but far from great.. help needed

Man of Honour
Here's what I have just bought and put together:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X
[size=+1]Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire
SB Audigy2 (from old PC)

I really don't get what's going on, maybe you could help me - I put it all together and installed whatever drivers I think I could find on the CDs that came with the mobo/gfx cards.
It's running on XP Pro (32bit edition)

I'm NOT sure it's set up in the bios correctly, nor am I sure I've configured it via whatever it'll let me mess about with in windows (graphics stuff)

I upgraded from a P4 3Ghz and a Nvidia 6600. Fresh new build on reformatted Hard Drive.

Games I'm trying to play:
World of Warcraft
F.E.A.R
Battlefield 2
Richard Burns Rally (Came free with gfx card)

WoW works fine - no issues there, can turn everything up to full detail - looks great, plays great. Cool.
F.E.A.R. 94% above 40fps according to the little flythrough test. Great. This is with all options set to maximum, yay.

BUT - I'm getting little stutters, like it's swapping to the hard disk every couple of seconds. Really really annoying ..

Battlefield 2 - similar to F.E.A.R if I just set the video options to "high" and leave stuff that's not defaulting to "high" to whatever it is. Swappy kinda thing - and also, the shadows (dynamic?) look awful - REALLY REALLY blocky... I'm sure they're not meant to look like that. Played better on my old machine at slightly lower details (medium I think), but surely the hardware I now have can cope...

Richard Burns - what a sodding joke - hardly runs at all - stuttering all over the place, practically unplayable and that's just driving around the basic driving course (A car park). Urgh. Nice showcase..... :rolleyes:

Ok, here's the other thing - I didn't have any RAM of the new kind - I've ordered 2gb of mushkin xp4000 stuff, which should arrive tomorrow morning if the postman's feeling nice.
It has 1gb (2x512 sticks) of crucial 3200 nothing special DDR from my old PC in it at the moment. Could this memory be causing the problems?
Could it be the Audigy card? - the onboard one's disabled in the bios

I just installed the drivers for the mobo/gfx from the cds that came with the hardware - should i get some better ones off the net?

Please help because there's gotta be something wrong with the way I've set this up for it to run worse than my old pc :(

Cheers
[/size]

Man of Honour
OP
naffa said:
well a lot of people are adament about games like FEAR and bf2 not running well without 2GB memory.. i however believe this to be rubbish as i run both at max with 1GB.. however my OCZ Value could just be ub3r 1337.. but it maybe your ram (but i doubt it).

We'll see what tomorrow brings I guess...
I'll try catalyst drivers, or how about omega ones? never had problems with them when i had a 9800pro....

And bios flashing scares me :o

Back
Top Bottom