New build or upgrade CPU/memory or replace graphics card

Associate
Hi everyone

First time post here and a bit of a noob so please be kind! I have a PC I built myself about 5 years ago (it was my second build).
Spec is ...
Core i5 3570k at 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
2GB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 series

The PC is reliable but sometimes has memory issues when running multiple apps (this is essential for me) I have been playing Elite Dangerous and World of Warcraft (long time player). I sometimes do image editing and might like to dabble with video editing but realistically I am unlikely to get into this in a major way.

I am trying to decide whether to do a new build or selective upgrade of components. Heart says new build, head says it might be better to just upgrade some components.

I would like to be able to run WoW on max/ultra settings at 1980 x 1820 res (or whatever the numbers are!) and to have a PC that will run for a few more years and be able to play current games and multi-task etc.

So the choices I am debating are:

A) Complete new build
B) Mobo, CPU and memory upgrade only - re-use case, storage, graphics card, PSU etc
C) New graphics card only - in which case what do I need to check with my case, mobo and PSU to be sure they can cope with it?

Your opinions or pointers to articles with a run through of the decision making process and things to consider would be much appreciated.

Expansion recommends i7 3***k.
This will also help with editing at any rate. Plus should be able to pick one up cheap second hand .

Gtx 1060 or rx580 should do you good. Currently 3 free games with RX AMD cards bought via AMD promo . Slightly more expensive then GTX card can use a little more juice

Thank you Orbitalwalsh. I will check out pricing for those components.

I suppose I ought to play the expansion on the existing PC as well and see how it performs - wish me luck!

Thank you Orbitalwalsh. I will check out pricing for those components.

I suppose I ought to play the expansion on the existing PC as well and see how it performs - wish me luck!

Get IP an overlay like MSi afterburner . Will tell you how much percentage your CPU is working along with your GPU .
Always want GPU maxed or close to it and CPU less so. If it's the other way around the .You know at least CPU is really holding you back

Back
Top Bottom