New build + Out of the loop

Associate
Hi guys. been out the loop for a few years so having this built.
Changed a few of specs but hear it is now.
Any issues?

Will be using for gaming (old skool cs player who used to only be content with 120hz w/ 120fps. Been too many years on xbox, need to come back strong. If its not smooth as silk after the money/time waited, not worth it), photoshop, 3dmax, premier, unity(just starting), maybe some utube/twitch.

Not massively keen on case but told would be quieter than most, although i was going to go for something with glass side to have a Tron wet dream, silent-ish PC would be great.

Case: Fractal Define R4 Black Case
Power Supply: Seasonic 850W Gold Power Supply
Processor: Intel Core i7 4930K Six Core (3.4GHz, 12MB Cache overclockable upto 4.4GHz, Hyperthreading) Socket 2011
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Graphics Card 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1866MHz C10 Quad Channel Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Intel X79 Motherboard (2 way SLI and Crossfire, 8+2+2+2 Xtreme VRM, TUF Components and Design)
Hard Disk Drive One: 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Hard Disk Drive Two: 1TB Seagate 64MB Cache
Optical Drive One: Blu-Ray Rewriter & DVD-RW Combo Drive
Sound Card: Onboard HD 7.1 Audio
Operating System: Windows8Pro 64bit

-Soundcard
Should I? Would it tax the system less? Espicialy in premier/gaming.

-Mobo
Any fancy things can do with latest motherboard? See a lot of fancy talk but no idea what half means other than duel booting, and quicker ssd OS booting.

-Partitioning/duel booting/ keeping safe and recovering
Worth doing this to stick on Steam OS or linux?
I want to have a practical ability this time to be able to access drives and recover data if all goes wrong. Also linux sounds the 'safer' daily web browsing routine, then switch to windows for everything else? Maybe USB pen to boot linux or sandbox vpn browser instead? Tor recommended?
Sorry for random offtopic but wondering about workflow and keeping new system safe, sustainable, and untraceable if going down utube/twitch route.

-Storage
Also need a another HDD for backup. And recommendation on HDD that keeps for long time? Running a couple of 80gb and 120gb that last years, but too slow and too small. Keep seeing the external WD, but majority of feedback dying after few weeks-1yr, and most ssd solutions hearing only 1-5 years use!!
Need something to store movies, work etc

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi thanks for reply.
While I have built one PC, it was about 10 years ago,
and while i could probably place in the components into the right slots etc,
i know its a bit more complicated than that now, and wouldn't know where to begin.
Ive spent weeks/months doing research, and realised although im learning things, too much time has passed and would be better sever just getting it built, so i cant screw it up.
Also id prefer it, having it masterfully configured out the box, so i can just worry about getting more productive on it. /rant :p

Ive had the above priced at £2100 and at this point waisted too many years looking at stuff, i might as well just get something that will last me. I rather have something that lasts, but that i can add too, rather than buying a moderate pc every few years.

-Monitor
Im using BenQ XL2420TX bought from here (rather OVERPRICED i found out >_< ) but after a year, finding after daily use my eyes feel screwed and constantly burning.
Its been tuned using various guides, but I believe its the gamma. On hdmi/xbox i can turn down the gamma using the game/device. With my current PC i cannot do this, but looking forward to changing it within the graphics card settings when get my new pc.
BUT it maybe a good idea to get another monitor for daily use/ duel screen anyway, as the colour on the monitor is pretty bad, and will need to do photoshop work. 4k IPS maybe?

No speakers at the moment, but have some old 5.1s stored away, and currently use Afterglow wireless headset for xbox/pc/ps3. May want to upgrade that though.
But as i said, wouldnt i want a soundcard to take the processing time off the cpu, regardless if i have the volume on or not??

-For duel booting / recovery options, yes the NAS or RAIDing is a good option, and allows me to backup, but when it goes wrong, i still need options to get back a working system.
And there is always going to be a few program settings/data/edited doc or something that is more updated that the current backup.
Just thought 10years later there might be better ways now.

Did have my system recovered a couple of times years ago, would be great to find out how. Im thinking now they might have linux live cd on a drive with ghosting tools to recover. Any pre made or safe site to make a usb to cover myself?

Associate
OP
The Only Beardy... er thanks.
Like i mentioned, im having it built by company who have quoted the £2100 for the OP specs. If i had the time/knowlege of configuring it expertly and making it sustainable, I would have done it myself.

BUT..
Well done on finding double the RAM for same money, at a better speed.
Worth it?? So many say i wont see a benifit over 1866, but they also said theres no difference between blueray and dvd *sigh*

And what benefits would i be getting from the different mother board and 1000w PSU?

Does anyone recommend a UPS, and what would i need?
If have 850w PSU, would need 1000w UPS?

Associate
OP
putting one of these together on your own is VERY easy...
As i originally said, i dont doubt i could. Optimizing, configuring it, and the time for research and doing it, i dont have.

save for X99 in 6-8 months
RIGHT now getting somewhere. As i mentioned, im out of the loop.
I have no idea what this is, nor why i would want it, other than its new.

-MOBO
Also i looked a bit at the differences between of the
the builder suggestion, Asus Sabertooth Intel X79
and the suggested by you, Asus Rampage IV Formula Intel X79.
Is the Sabertooth massively out of date?????? 2011?
Am i right in thinking i will be getting the highest ram usable for it, 1866mhz?

This is why id go for a 4930k, 16gb+ RAM and a 780Ti (and a 1000W PSU to go SLI later on).
-PSU
I was only getting a 500-650w psu before and down to another suggestion on another forum, saying the Be quiet PSUs were trash and go for Seasonic, when i saw that 850w, and was told this was overkill even for SLi.
1000w really necessary?

-UPS Uninterrupted power supply

If i was going to get a 850w-1000w PSU, would i need a 1000w-1400w UPS?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thankyou honosuseri for reading the posts in its entirety!
Much appreciated Doomedspeed and honosuseri answered a lot of the questions i had,
without spouting "well thats not worth it.." to everything in the system, like so many places did.

I guess next big question is, would you still pay that amount when these new components are about to hit? Should i go ahead anyway?!
Ive been playing the waiting game for so many years, but think i just need to go for it and get productive on a system.
Or the initial cost are going to not get me anything close, and still worth getting this rig,
possibly selling 4-5years (maybe even less than that?) down line and jumping into getting the new stuff in a whole new rig?

for the 2011 socket you DO want a Quad channel kit
I think the reason i said to the builder 2x8gb was so i could buy another 2x8gb to make 32 at some point.
Will the system not work, or just not perform?

OK last questions.
The builder whos doing all this, im probably ****ing off now, regardless if its my money.
IF i did go with the component that were set out, see any issues?
By the look of the mobo stats, it looks like I would want to grab one of the ones suggested, as it cant support over 1866ghz.
OR is it a m00t point, as all the new mobos are coming out soon, and pointless upgrading the rig i would be getting?

And see that no one has brought it up but if i was after a UPS Uninterrupted power supply would i need a 1000w-1400w UPS to cover a 850w-1000w PSU??

Thanks for the details on the window pain for the Antec P280 Super Midi Tower Case,
saw one for the Fractal Define R4 Black also. The Antec a superior case you reckon, in space or silencing?

And YES, ill post some pictures when i finally get the rig.
Appreciate all the help, really do.
Maybe once i get this made, will give me the confidence to make the next one,
once ive learnt to configure sustainably, and got the right benchmarking, recovery and tweaking tool set programs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep name removed. Knew wasn't aloud to link so didnt. Thought id mention to see if anyone had any issues with them. Reviews seem to be pretty good though.

Thanks for patience and explanation.
Ill see if I can get an upgrade on the mobo, soundcard, and case.
Appreciated. Will post pics when get it :)

Back
Top Bottom