New build problems

Associate
Hi guys wondered if you could help, i recently brought several components to build a new pc and am having trouble with the GPU. When i am connecting it to the monitor is has a connection as no warning message comes up saying there is no signal but all i am getting is a black screen.

I tested the system with my brothers old GTX770 card it posted straight away. I was wondering if:

A) the PSU is too low a Wattage to run everything? but the fan was running round the GPU when it was installed so not sure. I used https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator to check first and it said i only need 380W

B) if it is a faulty card? The card was B-Grade but i know my brother has brought plenty of components from clearance and has never had a problem.

my current build is:

AMD Ryzen 5 Quad Core 1500X 3.70GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail CP-3A0-AM
**B Grade** OcUK GeForce GTX 1060 "Reference Design" 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair Value Select 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Single Channel Module
Asrock AB350M AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard
BitFenix Comrade Midi-Tower - Black
Kolink KL-500M 500W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply

I am also using an old Kingston 120GB SSD that may brother gave me as the Hard drive

Soldato
The PSU is not the best - a certain forum member would be more brutal in his assessment :) - but it may not be the problem.

What lead are you using to connect to the monitor - DP?

Caporegime
IF another card works in the system then its either a faulty card (have you tried it in another system?) or maybe the bios of the board needs an update to work with it (highly unlikely)

And are you giving the gfx card all power cables it may need?

What connection to the monitor are you trying to do? hdmi/dvi etc?

Associate
OP
Yeah I took it round to my brother who has a lot more experience than me and the same thing happens in his pc, so i am going with a faulty card.
All the power cables were in the card too and we have tried a standard HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI cable to check and tried it on three monitors known to work.

yeah apologies about the PSU my brother did not hold back on the abuse he gave me when he saw it!

How big of an impact do you think it will have in the long term?

Soldato
How big of an impact do you think it will have in the long term?
Your upgrade path will be limited (It will not power a system requiring its stated wattage) - and if it blows you obviously wont have all the safety features of a quality unit, as in it may take other components down with it for the fun of it.

Having said that it could run quite happily for years...

You're running an unknown, and perhaps an unnecessary, risk with some expensive components is the best way I can put it :)

The XFX PSU would have been a better budget choice - if you have the option to RMA?

Associate
OP
Hmm i see your point there I think I will RMA the PSU and upgrade, could you link me to the XFX PSU you are talking about?

Also If i am returning the card do you still think i should still go with the GTX1060 3GB? I do have a bit of spare money coming my way from overtime at work and could look at going for a slightly more expense GPU

Soldato
Hmm i see your point there I think I will RMA the PSU and upgrade, could you link me to the XFX PSU you are talking about?

This is the XFX XT - still a budget PSU but designed by seasonic - but built as an OEM unit elsewhere (from what I can find). But better than the Kolink.

Also If i am returning the card do you still think i should still go with the GTX1060 3GB? I do have a bit of spare money coming my way from overtime at work and could look at going for a slightly more expense GPU

I would. The 3Gb is a crippled 6Gb - not the same card.

If you can afford it get the big 6Gb brother, buy it - or a RX480/580

Back
Top Bottom