New build, random BSOD

Associate
hi there guys,

I wonder if any you guys have suggestions for a new build. A month or so ago I upgraded my pc from a 3900x to a 5950x (my system is fine, no problems). The plan was to put the 3900x into a new MB and give it to my mum. I had the memory, drives, gpu etc. I did buy a case too.

Everything went together okay, the system started up. We got Windows 11 on and I thought everything was done.

A few days later she gets one random Blue screen of death (BSOD) - for no reason. I looked into it and couldnt find any reason. It happens again, so I reinstall windows - but this doesnt fix it and happens again. I tried swapping memory around, graphics card and psu, bios (older and beta ones) and it still does a random bsod (each part giving a few days before it BSOD). I have tried with/without the chipset drivers.

I did did a windows memory test, memtest 86 (took over 6 hours) and prime for half an hour and none of them come up with a problem.

I took the whole PC apart, and rebuilt it with the same effect.

The BSOD is random, it may not do it for days then do it when the pc is switched on, another time straight away. I not sure why the bios does not post sometimes (fans stay ramped up and no screen), a few 'goes' and it may start (but sometimes starts without a problem like 7/10 times). Once the system is 'started' or done its BSOD it works fine. Not sure why the BIOS randomly doesnt start either.

Default settings in the bios, no oc. I did wonder if it was kind-of power setting? running out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly welcomed, heres the spec;

CPU: 3900x
MB: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 (rev. 1.1)
BIOS: tried F15 and F16c
GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC2
RAM: 4x 8Gb Corsair 3200Mhz LPX
PSU: EVGA P2 1200w
Storage: WD SN750 1Tb

Its really annoying cos I wanted to give my mum a better pc but all this problems may me feel a little bad. I dont have a clue whats wrong. Its not like it crashes all the time, but just randomly (which makes fault finding even harder).

Associate
Find the power settings in BIOS, and enable LLC (load-line calibration) on both CPU and SOC, set both to level 1.

Both my 2700X and 5800X suffered vdroop, and had random occasional crashes. LLC solved it with both chips. As you're using four sticks of RAM, I'd personally also give the memory a little extra voltage too, say 1.37 or 1.38v- you say 'default settings, I assume you've enabled XMP...
There should also be an option somewhere for 'POST Delay'- maybe try setting this for a couple of seconds more than default to give everything a chance to power up before POST.

Associate
OP
Find the power settings in BIOS, and enable LLC (load-line calibration) on both CPU and SOC, set both to level 1.

Both my 2700X and 5800X suffered vdroop, and had random occasional crashes. LLC solved it with both chips. As you're using four sticks of RAM, I'd personally also give the memory a little extra voltage too, say 1.37 or 1.38v- you say 'default settings, I assume you've enabled XMP...
There should also be an option somewhere for 'POST Delay'- maybe try setting this for a couple of seconds more than default to give everything a chance to power up before POST.

thanks for the info, ill give it ago. I guess level 1 gives the chip a little boost?

Associate
OP
I'd also suggest changing the RAM voltage, or forcing a lower clock on the memory 2700mhz or whatever and see what happens.
hi there, I did try with XMP on and off with the same problem. So I put XMP back on.

Ill try the LLC - hopefully that will slove it, and let you guys know.

ps. when I said default, I meant must have the options at bios default apart from XMP (turnned on).

[update] In the Gigabyte BIOS LLC levels are not +1, +2 etc. but are words: Normal, Turbo, High, Extreme etc. I have set both the CPU + SOC to high LLC (I read elsewhere that high is okay?).

Last edited:
Associate
hi there, I did try with XMP on and off with the same problem. So I put XMP back on.

Ill try the LLC - hopefully that will slove it, and let you guys know.

ps. when I said default, I meant must have the options at bios default apart from XMP (turnned on).

[update] In the Gigabyte BIOS LLC levels are not +1, +2 etc. but are words: Normal, Turbo, High, Extreme etc. I have set both the CPU + SOC to high LLC (I read elsewhere that high is okay?).
High should do it. If it fixes the problem, you could try stepping down to Normal and see how that does.

Associate
OP
hi there guys,

its been awhile but I wanted to change a few things;

- I changed the bios back to F15 (the last non-beta bios)
- Re-installed Windows 11 (en-case of any damaged files),
- And boosted LLC to HIGH for both the CPU and SOC,

Then for no reason, a random BSOD yesterday. I guess maybe up the memory voltage? I am running out of things it could be.

Ive pretty much switched all the hardware around (PSU, graphic card, etc.) apart from MB and CPU. The CPU I had in my MB without a problem for a couple of years. Memory test ran for 6:30hours, prime for 30mins - no problems. It seems once the system is booted up its fine, but theres a chance it may BSOD after its just started up for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom