New build, Should I wait?

Associate
Hi All,

I had a unexpected sum of money recently so i am considering making a new AM5 system, i only just made a Cheap AM4 water cooled SFF PC which i love, but its with an old Graphics card. so i am not really in serious need a new PC as of yet, just gathering info and thoughts.

What i'd like to know is if i'd probably be worth waiting for new things you might know of? Obviously i am aware of new AMD processor of X3D and the 50 series cards just over the horizon but i am less aware of new motherboards or other components. Since i have a bit more cash now budget will be at about 2.5k 30 - 50% of that will be for a graphics card maybe a 5080 but that depends on how much Nvidia will rip us off this time around. looking to build it all in a Lian Li A3 case with a M-ATX / ITX board. Below is my current spec but will obviously will change based on new things. Use will be primarily be used for 3D modeling and game dev work but gaming too so toss up between / work CPUs or X3D ones.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor / 9800X3D
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI MAG B650M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard / Any new boards that show up
Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory
Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card / 5080
Lian Li A3-mATX MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Corsair SF1000 (2024) 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Win 11 Pro

Thanks for any insight and info you help me with

Paul

Last edited:
Wait 6 months, the 9800x3d and AMD 800 chipset motherboards should hopefully be released as for Nvidia 5000 series GPUs.

Last edited:
I find it hard to answer your question because I would always answer it from the perspective of the value of upgrade you're getting and I'm not sure if your current spec is relevant to that point?

You can build a pretty good PC for 2K-2k5 right now (or even for half that amount), though we're still awaiting the kind of price cuts on AM5 7000 CPUs that have been seen elsewhere.

From what I'm aware of, new CPUs and graphics are going to be awhile away, so likely something like the 6 months mickyflinn suggests, to see meaningful changes in the market. 3 months might be enough if releases are on schedule, but I guess we'll see.

I find it hard to answer your question because I would always answer it from the perspective of the value of upgrade you're getting and I'm not sure if your current spec is relevant to that point?

You can build a pretty good PC for 2K-2k5 right now (or even for half that amount), though we're still awaiting the kind of price cuts on AM5 7000 CPUs that have been seen elsewhere.

From what I'm aware of, new CPUs and graphics are going to be awhile away, so likely something like the 6 months mickyflinn suggests, to see meaningful changes in the market. 3 months might be enough if releases are on schedule, but I guess we'll see.
yeah i can wait 6 months this rig is absolutly capable for doing 90% of the things i need right now. i only spent £600 on this one as a tide me over / travel / TV PC. buts its been rock solid so far. amazing what you can build in AM4 for £600. i hope the prices fall a little for AM5 stuff as you say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom