New Build - Which Cooler?

Associate
Hi all,

I've just had all my bits and pieces delivered from OcUK for my new build. I have got a AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition CPU.

Firstly I am not really looking to overclock this at the moment however I probably will have a go at some point in the future.

So my question is, do I stick with the stock HSF which does look pretty good or do I go and fit an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro (which was originaly for a 939 but seems it will fit all the latest sockets as well) which I have knocking around?

This cooler was intended for my last build, but the stock HSF was that good I never really bothered to fit it, that was also with an overclock from 2Ghz - 2.5Ghz on an Opteron 146.

So initially my thinking is the stock HSF will be more than enough for this processor or should I just go ahead and fit the Freezer Pro?

Thanks
Stu

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
955s run hot
fit the freezer64

if you plan on clocking it - you will need somehting substantial like a titan fenrir or prolimatech megahalems

Associate
OP
Well I've done a bit of messing around and gone with the stock AMD cooler, the Freezer64 even though is supposed to fit the AM3 CPU's was VERY tight and I was a little hesitant to slide the locking pin any further so left that aside for now until I get to look at it again.

However I have the stock AMD cooler in place that ships with the AMD Phenom II X4 995 BE and my CPU temperatures are currently around 28-29c idle and 50-55c full load depending on whats running.

How do those temperatures sound to you guys ... they seem perfectly fine to me, they are pretty much what my old Opteron 146 would run at and that was on the stock HSF overclocked from 2.0Ghz to 2.5Ghz and never had a problem with that at all.

Stu

Man of Honour
here's your sig in the correct size

13574597017492616551.jpg

Back
Top Bottom