New build - won't POST

Man of Honour
To be honest in this sort of situation where all I wanted to do was boot the pc and update BIOS, assuming it fits I'd just leave the heatsink stuck on the 3200G and run it in the new mobo like that (if it won't attach properly to the new mobo, put the case on its side so gravity is weighing it down to avoid it falling off). You know you've got good contact between cpu and heatsink, so should be fine for the 10mins you need it for, you aren't going to be running anything cpu intensive.

Just seems like a bit of a faff to remove the heatsink only to have to put it back on again when you return it to the other system.

Soldato
OP
Another 5 minutes of heat directly onto the CPU and it came away, too hot to touch at the moment though!

Think I'll turn the 5600G PC on for 5 minutes before trying to remove that one!

From what I can see both the 3200G and the motherboard it came from look completely fine, I guess I'll find out later today when I try the 3200G in the new motherboard to update the BIOS and then pop it back into the OEM PC.

I didn't want to place the 3200G and heatsink directly into the new motherboard as I couldn't be sure it would line up correctly.

Soldato
OP
Well, the 3200G works and the BIOS is currently being updated (was F1 which is the first release and from Aug 2020), let's see if this fixes the issue and the 3200G goes back into the OEM PC and that works!

Soldato
OP
Success, 5600G working in new build after BIOS update - thanks all.

Rather annoyingly the OEM PC case only allows top down access and the CPU mounting bracket that sits under the motherboard came off so I've gotta take the whole motherboard out now.....urgh.

Man of Honour
Success, 5600G working in new build after BIOS update - thanks all.

Rather annoyingly the OEM PC case only allows top down access and the CPU mounting bracket that sits under the motherboard came off so I've gotta take the whole motherboard out now.....urgh.
Result, its just one thing after another .

Where did you get the 3200g from ?

Soldato
OP
Result, its just one thing after another .

Where did you get the 3200g from ?

OEM PC I had spare that came from a client who upgraded, it did the job. SFF case with access from only 1 side so it's pretty tight and an annoying job to get the motherboard out but all done now. I'll fire it up later but all looks fine.

Man of Honour
OEM PC I had spare that came from a client who upgraded, it did the job. SFF case with access from only 1 side so it's pretty tight and an annoying job to get the motherboard out but all done now. I'll fire it up later but all looks fine.
At least you got it sorted now

A bios flashback button is a really handy feature on motherboards can save you a bundle of time.

Let's us know if alls well.

Man of Honour
Yeah there's a few things I'm surprised aren't more commonplace with motherboards across the board, seems really inconsistent

• BIOS flashing from USB when unbootable
  • Way to force boot with safe settings when you push RAM too high
  • Block for all the fiddly little cables like pwr/reset/speaker/LEDs etc so you can connect them outside the case and then fit to mobo in one go. TBH the whole thing could do with an updated standard like a single unified block across all motherboards, it hasn't changed since the 90s.
  • Diagnostic LEDs
Actually pretty pleased that my latest buy (a fairly cheap B560) has most of these but e.g. another system I have with B550 does not.

Back
Top Bottom