I've just built myself a new machine.

Asus AN8-SLI SE
Athlon 64 3700 San Diego
Pixelview 7800GT
2mb G.Skill ZX PC3200 Cas2
Antec P160w case
Hiper Type R 580w psu
80gb Hitachi IDE + my old Maxtor

Everything is fine at stock speeds but the minute I try to ramp things up a little I get freezes and reboots. Using *** in the Asus utility I can get 105% but 108% causes problems eventually while 110% causes instant freeze .
The 7800GT will overclock to about 440/1.10 but no further. Using the Detect Optimal Frequencies in Coolbits causes instant reboot !
I'm using only the the cooling that came with the retail CPU/7800GT but temperatures are only 34 degrees CPU and 24 degrees in the case.
I can get 15300 in 3Dmark03 and 7400 in 3Dmark05 and without overclocking the machine is rock solid. My question is why is it so unstable with modest overclocking when there are no obvious weaknesses in the spec.( perhaps the Pixelview is not the best).

Regards

James.

Associate
OP
Found part of the problem....Had first device set at PCI not PCI-E in the bios. Detect optimal frequency works a treat now and went for 495/1.18 . CPU still not happy over 105% though.

Man of Honour
Welcome to the fourms, I'm not sure of the exact problem here but some people have mentioned that Gskill Ram can cause issues with Asus motherboards so that could be part of the issue with your overclocking problems however I did rather think that it might be a total problem with Gskill not just while overclocked. Maybe the memory or overclocking forums on here can offer more advice?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure the G.Skill isn't part of the problem because the same thing occurs with 2x512 sticks of Kingston KVR400 .In fact I bought the G.Skill thinking the Kingston was the problem. The 7800GT seems happy enough now ,the Hyer R seems solid so that leaves the CPU/motherboard. To be fair they do what it says on the tin but I expected to be able to overclock more than 5%.

Regards

James.

Soldato
Seems to me like you need to find the limits of each piece of kit individually so you can work out what is causing your problems. Take a look at the overclocking guide in the overclocking and cooling forum and follow the steps recomended, you should get more than a 5% overclock.

Back
Top Bottom