New car delays.

Associate
Spoke to the provider about the factory delay, turns out the supplying dealer had a cancelled order in stock.

Exactly the same spec other than colour - happy enough to change colour - so now things have accelerated!

Caporegime
Had my call today from Audi , delivery next week so it’s been 24/6 delivery eta 13/8 - 7 weeks.

Thats good. The last audi (RS4) we got delivered at work should have been 8 weeks but ended up 14 weeks due to delays and parts issues. Suppose it must depend on the model?

Soldato
More all the Zoomers needing webcams and laptops.

Indeed. Earlier this week at work I contacted my Dell account manager for a quote on a couple of laptops and monitors. Estimated Delivery Date: 29/10/2021.

Absolutely nuts. Having to bite the bullet and buy off-shelf stock elsewhere at higher cost.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Interestingly enough, the dealer has received the VIN and is expecting the car in week 33. Preliminary delivery date was October :confused:

I reckon they had an order for a 330i or similar placed and my dad took that slot when it was ordered. Could that be?

Soldato
Just got an update on my new car, ordered in February. Latest delivery date is 7th December… it’s gone from June, to August to December. I suspect it’ll be February at the earliest tbh.

Mercedes CLA 35 Shooting Brake (no starry headliner unfortunately!)

Soldato
Main reason for the delays is the price car manufacturers pay for their chips is historically low so not high enough profit margin for the chip makers to bother running their production lines with as a priority vs GPUs, games consoles & smart phones!

You would think all the major car manufacturers would join together either buy a dedicated factory or build their own rather than rely on the current cartel controlling global chip production! Hey presto problem partially solved ;)

Caporegime
I ordered a car in June (New Tiguan Active) and ETA was 1st September but now I've been told 1st October. I gave them my old car with a £500 cash deposit so I have no car at the moment. Am I being too hopeful that my car will arrive by 1st October?

The way things are going, you just dont know. I keep hearing more and more people get their car delivery put back a month, then another month, then another month.

Soldato
yes, with Israel on wave 4, there has to be a concern that wafer fabs productivity could be further impacted, if the likes of Taiwan are hit.

edit: ! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57801031 12 july
Taiwanese firms Foxconn, which makes devices for Apple, and chip giant TSMC brokered the agreements for the BioNTech vaccine, worth $350m (£252m).

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Porsche now saying 2023 on many orders for cars already placed and a lot of order books getting closed, looks like its gonna get worse before it improves, used values due another boom maybe. :)

Soldato
I take that back, crisis it all over in the usa, eu/uk to follow
UK just has the maxxed out petrol prices to contend with, peak since 2013, so, that explains the [email protected], i payed saturday

https://qz.com/2046081/us-inflation-data-show-the-used-car-bubble-has-burst/

The price index for used vehicles rose 0.2% in July, after having risen at least 7.3% in each of the previous three months. The category was one of the few, along with hotel rooms and airfares, that drove recent inflation, the economist Paul Krugman pointed out on Twitter.
51386026941_44b1bba3ec_o_d.jpg

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

Soldato
Hybrid and does have app controlled pre heat but since all internet connectivity may be missing I will lose that amongst many other features like seeing its charge level, where the vehicle is, remote unlocking, being able to give somebody else permission to drive the car via an app on their phone, traffic re routing, updates to software, internet radio, spotify, etc etc.

That's a shame as the Mercedes app is one of the better ones (in that it actually works). My Audi app on the other hand....I've never had that work in the 11 months I've owned the car.

Back
Top Bottom