New car delays.

Soldato
Mum ordered her one at the end of April with a late July/early August date. She finally picked it up today, one part was delaying it. So I can imagine its not got any better then that.

All things considered, that's very good! I had read that VW were prioritising BEVs in order to lower their total carbon emissions to avoid a big fine from the EU, but I don't know how true that is.

Soldato
I was given a "possibly as late as" March 2022 delivery date for a Q4 50 SPortback in Vorsprung Trim. I am OK with that as my current lease ends in July 2022 and can specify a delviery date from the lease company.

Caporegime
I ordered my Merc 350 GLE de on 1st may with a 15th November delivery date. Still no word that its delayed yet but I honestly dont expect to see the car on 15th November.

Since June the ordering website has mentioned LTE module not available on some models. I really hope mine comes with that module.

Soldato
seems surprising the car manufacturers are not explicitly increasing RRP's, or is there enough padding in the 'negotiated' reductions customers previously got (for uk maybe some currency padding provided by brexit too - 86p)
Manufacturer shareholders won't like the reduction in profit/dividends and will be jumping ship to drug manufacturers, meanwhile Chinese propping up the share prices.

Semiconductor manufacturers need to decide who new supplies are directed to - are these genuinely long term fixed price contracts(penalty clauses - but maybe not for a pandemic), if not, semi mftr would need to pass that on, too.

Caporegime
seems surprising the car manufacturers are not explicitly increasing RRP's, or is there enough padding in the 'negotiated' reductions customers previously got (for uk maybe some currency padding provided by brexit too - 86p)
Manufacturer shareholders won't like the reduction in profit/dividends and will be jumping ship to drug manufacturers, meanwhile Chinese propping up the share prices.

Semiconductor manufacturers need to decide who new supplies are directed to - are these genuinely long term fixed price contracts(penalty clauses - but maybe not for a pandemic), if not, semi mftr would need to pass that on, too.

Not increasing RRP but you cant get the massive discounts on new anymore. So in affect new cars have gone up 10%.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Seems like Land Rover are trying it on to boot. Looked at my order and compared it with one now, they have split some dynamic packs into three sperate addons and charging around £700 more for the same things. Also a things have been taken off the optional extras list already. :(

They will lose the order if anything is changed from what I paid a deposit on.

Soldato
Not increasing RRP but you cant get the massive discounts on new anymore. So in affect new cars have gone up 10%.
Even my lovely JLR discount has gone for all cars other than the F Type :( Edit: slightly improved but still no 'normal' cars and anything mildly exciting excluded:

Model Model Year* Support Excluded Derivatives
E-PACE 21/22MY 15% - D165, P300e & all Petrol engines excluded.
- Base & R-Dyn Base derivatives excluded.
F-PACE 21/22MY 15% - D165, P400e & all Petrol engines excluded.
- Base & SVR derivatives excluded.
F-TYPE 21/22MY 20% - P300 engine excluded.
- Base F-TYPE Coupe & F-TYPE Convertible excluded.
I-PACE 21/22MY 22.5% - S, SE & Black excluded.
Range Rover Velar 21/22MY 15% -P400e & all Petrol engines excluded.
- Base & R-Dyn Base derivatives excluded.

OcUK Staff
Dropped the S2000 off at Honda today (service), they had like 3 cars in their huge showroom and the used car selection outside was looking pretty sorry for itself.

Last edited:
Soldato

beginning to see their point
Both Mercedes and BMW have been criticized for chasing volume by launching a multitude of smaller, less expensive compact cars, and while these aren't going away anytime soon, the duo is switching focus to bigger and pricier cars to target higher profit margins. Rather than relying on the traditional volume-based sales target, the two aim to sell fewer cars and make more money.

In an interview with Financial Times
Long story short, Mercedes and BMW know people will pay even more for their luxury cars, and therefore prices are not going to come down after the microchip shortage will end. Bernstein analyst Arndt Ellinghorst says reducing discounts by one percent boosts profits across the car industry by a whopping $20 billion. He went on to mention discounts have gone down by more than two percent in the United States and Europe compared to the high levels available before the pandemic.

Those hoping to get a good deal on a new Mercedes once the microchip shortage will end are in for a disappointment: "One day or another, the semis issue will be gone and we will carry on with the price, and the margin, and the mix focus," according to Harald Wilhelm. It's the same story if you're planning to buy a BMW at a good price: "Customers are ready to wait three to four months, and this is helping our pricing power."

Starting from 2025, Mercedes-Benz will begin introducing only electric vehicle platforms in an attempt to accelerate its shift towards a completely zero-emission model range by the end of the decade. Obviously, this would require some sacrifices, and the traditional sedans and wagons could be the first victims of the transformation process. While their future seems uncertain, one thing is absolutely certain - Mercedes is done with the plug-in hybrids.

Man of Honour
It's partly a timing thing, RRP changes don't happen overnight, they probably have to be announced to the market with sufficient lead time due to the potential impacts on share price. I think VAG had a planned price rise in July or thereabouts. Plus as mentioned a lot of cars have historically sold at discounts, so they can just reduce those.

For new car prices, I always benchmark using drivethedeal for the marques on there, and there has been a noticeable reduction in offers. E.g. special offers always used to have like £10k off a C/E class, now there's only one special offer saving over £2.5k, and that's still less than 10% reduction.

What this means, is the cars that typically don't get sold at big discounts (e.g. Tesla) are, in relative terms, better buys than they used to be. It used to be that instead of buying a Model 3 or whatever you could get big saving on other new cars, or benefit from the big depreciation on second hand cars. But now, you can't get a £40k car for £30k brand new anymore.

Caporegime
It's partly a timing thing, RRP changes don't happen overnight, they probably have to be announced to the market with sufficient lead time due to the potential impacts on share price. I think VAG had a planned price rise in July or thereabouts. Plus as mentioned a lot of cars have historically sold at discounts, so they can just reduce those.

For new car prices, I always benchmark using drivethedeal for the marques on there, and there has been a noticeable reduction in offers. E.g. special offers always used to have like £10k off a C/E class, now there's only one special offer saving over £2.5k, and that's still less than 10% reduction.

What this means, is the cars that typically don't get sold at big discounts (e.g. Tesla) are, in relative terms, better buys than they used to be. It used to be that instead of buying a Model 3 or whatever you could get big saving on other new cars, or benefit from the big depreciation on second hand cars. But now, you can't get a £40k car for £30k brand new anymore.

Correct. Best deal I ever got was a VW touareg with loads of extras reduced from £56k RRP to £39k, a healthy 30% discount off new price.

Soldato
I've been looking around at few different car manufacturers dealerships very sparse offerings on used and new , asked about ordering new car in a few and just got blank looks. I even popped in my local Motorpoint seemed to have a lot of 18/68 plates very overpriced .

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So this came this morning

I hope that this finds you well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I am contacting you to inform you that Land Rover have now ceased production on model year 21 Velar.

What this means to your order is that even though we had this in the system and waiting for a build date we cannot now get a build on 21 model year.

I have sent you like for like quote on the model year 22 Velar, however there are changes to the new model i.e Surround Camera not standard.

I have added on all the option you had on the previous car but have had to leave off anything that cannot be currently selected due parts shortages, notably 3d Surround Camera.

Once you have reviewed the attached please let me if you are happy to proceed with the new model. Please note that we have a priority build for you should you wish to switch to model year 22 but the wait time could be up to 6 months.

Again sincere apologies for bringing this news to and I can understand any frustrations you may have, we will do our best to get your new car to ASAP.

So 2022 model Surround Camera now an optional extra not standard an extra £855.00 as you can only have it with a wade sensing. Has a retail off £75,655 and they taking parts of standard model!

The All Terrain Progress Control (ATPC) has been taken off completely, plus other bits most probably.

Wife's car no camera's no deal. 1k dearer plus a one year wait from date of order!

Caporegime
ANd that is what I feared would happen. Orders cancelled and new models no longer have the same standard features or certain options arent available. Last time I looked on BMW car configurator, you could no longer spec HK upgraded stereo and the models which used to have it as standard now have BMW standard stereo. Your only option if you want to upgrade is the expensive B&W system. But list price of the car hasnt dropped.

I have a feeling my 2021 Merc GLE will go the same way. The new 2022 GLE is out soon, probably available to order in early 2022 and so far after 5 months I have still yet to be allocated a build slot by Merc and their official line is "we currently don't know when we will be able to allocate a build slot"

And I put money on the new model will have less features as standard..................

Back
Top Bottom