New Case + PSU

Soldato
I thought I would never have this problem, but i've run out of space :(

My Antec 1000AMG Case has done me well but now theres no more 3.5" spaces left :(

Also with me wanting a new GFX card I now really need a new PSU as mine has now 6 pin connector and its getting very noisey now :(

I have in my PC;

4 x HDD
1 x 2.5 Fan controller
1 x Floppy Drive
2 x CD-Rom Drives

939 AMD 3700+
2 x 1024mb
1800xt (i think soon)

Any ideas on case or a new PSU?

What is your budget for either/both?

A Coolermaster Stacker ought to have about enough space for you but it depends if you like the style or an Akasa Eclipse amongst a few others. At a guess your PSU requirements will be somewhere around 450w(ish) so I'd recommend something 500w+, usual suspects of Enermax, Antec, Hiper, Seasonic and maybe FSP are all worth looking at.

A Coolermaster Stacker or maybe an Antec P180 and a Seasonic S12 would be a nice combination, if a bit expensive. If you're getting a big case make sure you get as PSU with long enough leads. I think the Seasonic has long ones but I'm not sure.

I would go for either the coolermaster stacker or the antec p180. I have had both and both are outstanding cases, I have the stacker now, I dont have the p180 anymore but im building a second machine in the summer and its the only component that is not up for discussion.

Buy either of these cases and you wont be disapointed.

Build quality on the 180 is terrible though, for a £82/£92 case I expect more. It's really flimsy :( and I don't know why the black one is £10 more! :rolleyes:

Should have gone in case central. :p

The deal with the Antec is the door warps over time on some (about 10% from what I read on a over exagerated news article, so say 1/100 cases).

It means the door will not close.

IF you are the unlucky one and get this happening, then you need to contact Antec and normally within a week completely free you get a new door. :)

PSU wise you have to be careful in the P180, the 4pin motherboard connection especially can end up being a little short, you may end up having to spend £5 more on extension leads to get the PSU in perfectly, but the Seasonics should work and I know the Tagan PSU's do just fine.

Other cases worth considering, and I consider superior to the P180 personally.

Cheiftec Dragon/Scorpio/Bravo. (Dirt cheap workhorse case, built to be a fileserver)
2nd user Lian Li PC70
Lian Li v1000+
Akasa Eclipse (Deffinately worth considering, great cooling, perfect case bar the cheap plastic front, but better than the P180)

All the cases mentioned I have owned aswell. P180 is by far the worst for build quality in this post, but it is not so bad that it makes it necissarily a bad case. Just it is surpassed by many in my eyes due to build quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom