• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New cpu making me loose points

Associate
Hello guys. I've changed cpu today, from a ryzen9 3900x, to a new ryzen 5 5600x, I saw online that this cpu should be better for games, I run the 3900x at 4400ghz and got the 5600x to 4700ghz without really trying to push, my system is above cpu, rog hero 8 board, 64gb dominator 3200mhz, at 3200mhz, mp600 ssd and msi 3070 trio , I score 14200 ish on the 3900x but only hitting 13100 on the new cpu, why is this please, got the latest bios and all updated chipset drivers, why is this almost a 1000 points slower, what am I missing please

Soldato
Points in what? Cinebench? 3DMark Time Spy? Give us a clue lol

Regardless, the 3900X was 12c/24t and you've just gone to a 6c/12t - so any benchmarks that bench multi-cores the 3900X is obviously going to do better, it has twice the cores.

In terms of just gaming performance though, you should compare your FPS before/after... The IPC improvements will give you better FPS over the 3900X though.

Associate
OP
Points in what? Cinebench? 3DMark Time Spy? Give us a clue lol

Regardless, the 3900X was 12c/24t and you've just gone to a 6c/12t - so any benchmarks that bench multi-cores the 3900X is obviously going to do better, it has twice the cores.

In terms of just gaming performance though, you should compare your FPS before/after... The IPC improvements will give you better FPS over the 3900X though.

Sorry my bad, its 3d mark I'm loosing the points on thanks for fast reply

Associate
OP
It's not rocket science, it's because you now have less cores and less threads.

Dunno, thats why I'm asking the people in the know here, as I read online, cpus with a bigger single core ghz score better in games, not so much about Howard cores, if you Google, 3900x vs 5600x for games, the ryzen 5 seems to add at least 10 frames per second to most games at stock speeds, so with mine overclocked I thought my 3d mark score would at least be the same not a 1000 points less

Soldato
3D Mark isn't a gaming benchmark. It's a synthetic test on CPU/GPU combined with Time Spy. Like I said, you're running something that relies on more cores the better score. So it means nothing for your use case.

If you want better FPS in games, then the 5600X will do that for you. It's just you've got half the cores/threads now, so other things like video editing, streaming and similar will not be as strong in performance though.

Associate
OP
3D Mark isn't a gaming benchmark. It's a synthetic test on CPU/GPU combined with Time Spy. Like I said, you're running something that relies on more cores the better score. So it means nothing for your use case.

If you want better FPS in games, then the 5600X will do that for you. It's just you've got half the cores/threads now, so other things like video editing, streaming and similar will not be as strong in performance though.

Fantastic reply thank you very much. I'll keep the 5 for now, sell the 9 and get another 9 in the new year when they come more available

Soldato
Here are a few games with built in benchmarks:

The Division 2
Forza Horizon 4
F1 2019
Read Dead Redemption 2
Farcry 5

You could also try Heaven 4 or Valley benchmarks as they are more game specific

Associate
Could you recommend any please ?

Any that you've used before then you can compare before and after.

You could go stick an old enterprise cpu with 32 cores into the rig and it'll score higher in 3dm cpu but it'll suck balls for gaming compared to 5600x. Really need to use an appropriate benchmark for intended use...

Back
Top Bottom