New Electric Car Choice.

Associate
I've the option to get a new company electric car.
My first dip in the EV world was with a modest Kia Niro EV, which has been a good car to be fair, just not very exciting to drive.
Its very clinical and does very little to get the blood pumping, fortunately I have a V6 Mercedes C250 to remember what its like to actually 'drive' a car.

But this time round I'm after something that can make people look a bit daft at the traffic lights when my EV pulls away.
Budget is variable but generally around the 50k mark or lower that can do 60 in around 4 seconds.
What I've looked at but found irritations with are -
Volvo EX30 AWD
Tesla Model 3 AWD Long Range
Volvo C40 Recharge

Is there anything else currently available within the price range that would be worth having a look at ?

Associate
OP
MG is a bit tight in the cabin for me. 6'4 and all legs so I found a comfortable driving position awkward to find, plus the back end of it is awful. But for smiles, it is hard to beat in a straight line !
I do like the EV6, but like the IONIQ 5, I think it may just be over my budget to get the performance I'd like.
Was hoping the BYD seal might be the ticket, but prices are a bit higher than I was expecting.

Associate
OP
I'm a bit bias as I have a Tesla and would find it hard to change to another brand to be honest. So get yourself to the Fully Charged/Everything Electric show and get straight to the test drive section and get booked up.

The MG4 & BYD Seal have straight line speed but are both soft in the corners and like a lot of the Chinese cars they seem to go out of their way to annoy you with silly software warnings and quirks. Tesla went too stiff with the 20-22 Model Y but seem to have refined the suspension in the '24 Model 3.

Although I haven't driven one as of yet, the 3 biggest gripes I have is the lack of an indicator stork, I live on an Island with no motorway and everything is A and B roads and roundabouts. Having the indicators as a button on the steering wheel sounds like an absolute nightmare when you constantly have to use them.
The lack of parking sensors in favour of just a 360 degree camera and no keyless entry unless you pay for that option. No idea why "Use your Phone" or "Slide a card on the door pillar" became a preferred method.
I do agree about the Chinese cornering though.

Is a Polestar 2 performance on there? I do admit the C40 Twin motor I tested was as fast as my I-Pace but the handling was a bit worse.

One of my colleagues has a Polestar 2 (Before the facelift though). It is a nice car, but to get the performance pack it takes it out of my budget. And surprisingly, when I had a go in it I found the driving area extremely cramped for someone my size, it felt like I was always having to tuck my elbows in as I constantly knocked against the cabin.

Associate
OP
The heart wants what it wants.
Not worried about the badge on the car, doesn't stand for quality any more. Out fleet of Mercedes, which were hybrid A classes, and EQC and EQA have all had massive issues.
Out of 3 Taycan's. 2 ended up going because of charging and heater issues, along with stones constantly getting stones stuck between brake calliper and disc.

Just want something that's going to put a bit of a smile on my face when I drive it, rather than a beautifully functioning machine that has no excitement what so ever to drive as a lot of EV's have no soul.

Associate
OP
Having recently joined the world of Tesla, (almost reluctantly), what I can say is go and test drive one...

1. The vast majority of reviews say the indicators aren't a problem.. almost a none issue.. which goes against my gut feel, I think we all think they will be a problem but I tend to find when everyone says it's not as bad as you expect, I think they are probably right.. (Same for the speedo in the centre display)
2. The new Tesla vision parking stuff is probably on balance 'better' than the ultrasonic sensors, they both have holes in their detection ability, but the vision system picks up a very detailed 3D map including kerbs, posts, low walls etc.. (video below)
3. Keyless entry, it's fully keyless with your phone for free and you can buy keyfobs as well (£180). I was going to buy a keyfob at the time of ordering the car but they were out of stock.. now I've been using my phone as the key (fully keyless, just walk up, grab the handle and open), I actually don't want a keyfob mainly as its a bulky item to carry when I already have my phone.. I have the card in my wallet as backup and with the phone, it can work wirelessly (so proximity based) or you can use NFC on the phone, effectively making it a card if that is your wish.. The latest software update adds UWB support for the model 3 highland, so that's even more precise.
That's some thoughtful feedback, I appreciate your efforts as those points seem a fair rebuff.
Have your had any issues with cabin quality control ? Seems to be a common complaint about the finish but I believe that is more on US built machines rather than the Asian built ones that Europe get. I have a colleague with a model Y and he doesn't have any issues (except for white leather, couldn't live with that).

Associate
OP
I am probably missing some but..... brand new I can only think of 2 4 second 0-60 brand new cars in price bracket. the Volvo EX30 and the MG4 xpower both of which were ruled out.

There are a few around those figures, XC40, Smart #1 Brabus, Polestar2 Long Range (DM), Tesla Model 3 AWD LR etc
4 seconds wasn't set in stone, just something I'd like. But certainly something that gets a wriggle on when required.
The IM L6 looks interesting. Its just been announced from MG's "upper-class" sister company

Associate
OP
Still haven't decided, and my Niro EV is off in a couple of weeks.
Might plump for an Ionic 6 or BMW I4 as we are being offered good deals on them, both seem like very nice cars

Back
Top Bottom