New (first) car - dos and don'ts

Soldato
As above, recently got a new (to me) car; a Fiesta 1L Zetec S EcoBoost.

A recent question on another thread about the use of premium fuels sparked an idea to ask the question; what should and shouldn't I do with it (excluding the obvious like running over neighbour's cat etc) (up to you to decide if that's a do or don't ;))

What I'm looking for is the following:

• General maintenance advice
  • Cleaning advice
  • Garage and service advice
  • Etc
As always, all and any help is supremely appreciated :)

Soldato
Cleaning Advice
See here - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-car-cleaning-thread.17888389/page-737

Garage & Service
Find a good local independent. To keep warranty (providing you're still in it), your car only needs to be serviced with OE products and by a VAT registered garage, not a main dealer.

e; Just realised, yours is a ZS not an ST-Line so you're likely out of warranty unless extended. Engine is fairly solid 3cyl at stock power, ensure it's serviced in-line with recommendations, don't rag it from cold as you've a turbo.

You pay quite a premium to use a main dealer.

However, Ford do chuck in AA I believe, so sometimes paying the extra may be worthwhile for a years AA? It's up to you.

General Maintenance
Frequent check-ups of oil, coolant etc just general stuff.

Tyre pressures, just buy a machine from Halfords or Amazon and do it yourself, I find it easier than filling stations.

Not really sure what else you're after :p Just keep your eyes open and be fairly proactive rather than reactive.

Soldato
OP
Just keep your eyes open and be fairly proactive rather than reactive.

Think this is a good point actually :)

yours is a ZS not an ST-Line so you're likely out of warranty unless extended.

It is indeed out of warranty, but it's a brand new engine due to the last one blowing up and Ford replacing it (all stamped etc - receipts provided by a Ford garage)

Find a good local independent.

Had this in mind - I was thinking a local Facebook page to ask as I recently moved to the area

Man of Honour
Check your levels weekly for first two to 3 weeks of use to see how it consumes oil. Same with the tyre pressures to ensure they are not bleeding air. Once you have those steady no point checking every week really IMHO. Never run it hard from cold and always give both oil and water time to get to operating temperature. Keep the revs low until you have those are nicely up to their working temperatures. No point running anying over 95 RON in a car like this but I would still suggest main brand fuels, a personal thing. Get a good tyre pressure gauge and always use that as the issues come when you use multiple sources as they all claim to be calibrated so funny how they all report different pressures. Get one use that all the time. Enure you remove the back seats and replace with a 10,0000 RMS sub woof thing, Fiesta drivers rights of passage as is one of those dangly air fresheners.

Caporegime
As already said, take it easy from cold, don’t ride the clutch (holding the car on a hill) personally I’d get in the habit of checking fluid levels at least weekly, you’ll sooner spot an issue by doing this - I check my car daily, part force of habit because it’s a legal requirement for the trucks I drive and it’s also good practice especially on an older car - mines 18 years old - as for washing it do it regularly especially this time of year to keep the salt off, I’d also occasionally jet wash the wheel arches to get accumulated crap out.

As said get a good tyre pressure gauge - don’t rely on garage forecourt ones they are notoriously inaccurate in my experience.
As you’ve got a Turbo get into the habit of letting it idle for a bit before you switch off especially after driving it hard to let the Turbo cool properly.
Not sure if your a new driver or not, but drive it gently, anticipating the need to slow rather than stop if you can help it - this will help mpg and general wear & tear - and experiment with regular journeys, time yourself, going quicker and adopting a more relaxed driving style, you’ll soon discover the time saved by putting your foot down is rarely significant and you’ll notice a difference again in mpg.

As for maintaining it look up local garages on the good garage scheme https://www.goodgaragescheme.com/

But also google them and check reviews, you’ll soon sort the good from the bad. :)

Associate
The turbo has an electric pump that will continue to run after the car is switched off if further cooling is needed, I've been told that a mile of easy driving will cool the turbo sufficiently after a blast or long motorway cruise.

With the ecoboost you can ride the torque nicely, day to day I rarely go past 2500rpm and you can't legally reach the red line in 3rd anyway

Soldato
OP
As you’ve got a Turbo get into the habit of letting it idle for a bit before you switch off especially after driving it hard to let the Turbo cool properly.

I did look out for this - remembered seeing it in some episode like wheeler dealers or something a few years ago. I've noticed, however, that the turbo continues to run even when the engine turns off, so assume it's powered or something

Not sure if your a new driver or not

I haven't actually passed my test yet - it's next Monday :D

but drive it gently, anticipating the need to slow rather than stop if you can help it

Sound like my instructor already :p But in all seriousness - this is a very key point, and does help me feel more like a driver, than a vehicle operator

Caporegime
I did look out for this - remembered seeing it in some episode like wheeler dealers or something a few years ago. I've noticed, however, that the turbo continues to run even when the engine turns off, so assume it's powered or something
That’ll be the fan,possibly the water pump or both.

I haven't actually passed my test yet - it's next Monday :D
Good luck! :)

Sound like my instructor already :p But in all seriousness - this is a very key point, and does help me feel more like a driver, than a vehicle operator
I’m a professional driver - a huge part of my job is anticipating things to save fuel, wear & tear and it helps break the boredom of a long drive!

Soldato
Idling to cool a turbo was never a good idea. Easy driving for the last mile of your journey is far better.
Same for warning it up just take it easy. Cars don't like idling.

Caporegime
Idling to cool a turbo was never a good idea. Easy driving for the last mile of your journey is far better.
Same for warning it up just take it easy. Cars don't like idling.
Idling for a long period of time is not recommended certainly, but, 30 seconds or so prior to switching off will do far less damage through idling than potential damage to the turbo.

When your driving above idle even gently the turbo still runs much hotter than it does at idle. The very minute amount of oil that remains inside the turbo bearings after shutdown effectively gets cooked since it is no longer circulating to and from the oil supply. Idling the engine even for 30 seconds before turning off engine allows the cooler idle exhaust and cooler idle oil to bring the temps down in the turbo enough to increase the life of the oil. This is also one of the reasons many people specify full synthetic oil.

This has become less important with water cooled turbochargers which are becoming the new norm. The water cooling circuit is often designed to thermosiphon the water to circulate coolant after the motor has turned off. This also has the effect of minimising the coking buildup in the turbo's oil passages.

The manual for my 2018 truck advises to never switch off straight away and let it idle briefly before doing so - and it’s got a water cooled turbo - the principle is exactly the same for a turbocharged car.

Soldato
Had my fiesta 1.0 for just under 4 years now at 40K, only issue was a broken rear off side spring going over a level crossing and 4 new tyres (fronts around 26k and rears at 36k due to cracks rather than tread). My car has some rust starting to develop on the turbo coolant line, might want to keep an eye on that. I've found my car to be pretty good on fuel, I drive the same route at the same times pretty much so the odometer reads 396 miles every time I refill and I usually fill between 35-36 litres, so around 50mpg.

I check tyre pressure/oil/coolant probably twice a month and as for cleaning, I could highly recommend the https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/optimum-no-rinse, I've used that and the Meguiars express wash. Don't generally rinse the car using those products, just a 2 bucket wash, little more on the dirtier sections then dry with a towel, pretty economical on the water (16litres, 8 per bucket).

Soldato
OP
(fronts around 26k and rears at 36k due to cracks rather than tread).

Thankfully a brand new set of tyres and new engine when I got the car :) Will probably have the car 3 years (this year and the next, as will be back at University in October), and then a year or two to save for a new car

My car has some rust starting to develop on the turbo coolant line, might want to keep an eye on that.

Isn't this part of the recall for the EcoBoost? I would speak to Ford about it

Soldato
Thankfully a brand new set of tyres and new engine when I got the car :) Will probably have the car 3 years (this year and the next, as will be back at University in October), and then a year or two to save for a new car

Isn't this part of the recall for the EcoBoost? I would speak to Ford about it

It's a slightly different issue, there's no recall per se, only a TSB in a few countries. They took a look at it and said nothing to worry about and advised they could paint it for £80. I'll either see if Ford will do something for free or look at painting it myself.

Back
Top Bottom