New Gaming Laptop

Associate
Hello, after postponing potentially upgrading my ageing desktop last year I've found myself looking to get something new. Due to work and life I am leaning more on getting a gaming laptop (something I never thought I'd do) however when looking at the current gpu shortage and weighing the pros/cons against it and a desktop, I think it is the way I'd like to go.

However finding a model of laptop is proving to be difficult.
Budget I'm aiming for is between £1500 and £1800
I'd like to be shooting for a 5900hx, 3070 gpu around 130w, 16ram, 1tb m.2 at 17inches.

I have read that the Intel Laptop cpus would make for better desktop replacments however they seem to carry a higher price leading about £2000

The need for a 17 display as I could connect it to my monitor however I am looking for easy, clear and concise gaming wherever I go without needing to carry a monitor with me too. I have been told a 15inch display is a bit to small for gaming.

it would essentially become my portable replacement desktop.

I have taken a look at quite a few models of laptop but found it difficult to get more info on some like, thermals, build quality and I'd like to purchase from somewhere reputable, for instance what puts me of lenovo is their customer service. I'll post links to latops I found on overclockers, i am usure about posting links to other storefronts so I'll not do that.

Models I've looked at:
gigabyte-a7-x1
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...hz-amd-r9-5900hx-gaming-laptop-lt-0dq-gi.html
Couldn't find any user reviews for this one, it looks pretty good, I like the addition of the 2.5drive bay and I'd like to have a 1tb m.2 but the batterylife is almost half of every other gaming laptop i've seen.

asus-rog-strix-17-g713qm

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...-ryzen-r9-5900hx-gaming-laptop-lt-2fl-as.html
I think I'd be looking at the g713QR version but its out of stock and it does not have the ability to easily disable nvidia optimus.

Lenovo Legion 7

Seems to be out of stock
Lenovo Legion 5 Pro
Has a month lead time for a custom laptop and I've read their customer service is left to be desired.

Havn't really looked into MSI and have kind of pushed Alienware and Razer to the side as they seem to be £2000+

Is there anywhere to see upcoming product releases between now and the end of the year?

Anyway cheers for reading my wall of text, thank you in advance for any replies and have a lovely day!

Soldato
Having owned a number of gaming laptops over the years, the one thing I've always found is making sure the cooling is adequate. A lot of models tend to fail with this and also have throttling issues. Can't really comment on the other models, but can tell you Lenovo has got their current legion models spot on. I've ran mine in the hot weather on max settings for a good 10 hour stint and had zero issues at all. I know it's a pain with stock, but they've been so popular for a reason. There's various vendors showing the 7's looking to come back in next week / week after, but that's with the 5900 and 3080 specs so on the verge of £2k + sadly. Also, after also using 16" QHD, I don't think I could ever go back to a 17.3" screen, it just feels so much better to me.

I know it doesn't really help you at all, but just a little input. Good luck :)

Associate
OP
Having owned a number of gaming laptops over the years, the one thing I've always found is making sure the cooling is adequate. A lot of models tend to fail with this and also have throttling issues. Can't really comment on the other models, but can tell you Lenovo has got their current legion models spot on. I've ran mine in the hot weather on max settings for a good 10 hour stint and had zero issues at all. I know it's a pain with stock, but they've been so popular for a reason. There's various vendors showing the 7's looking to come back in next week / week after, but that's with the 5900 and 3080 specs so on the verge of £2k + sadly. Also, after also using 16" QHD, I don't think I could ever go back to a 17.3" screen, it just feels so much better to me.

I know it doesn't really help you at all, but just a little input. Good luck :)

Thank you Simmz, I might just try and see if I can wait it out for the legion 7's to come back in stock or cave in and get a 5 pro.

Associate
The most Important part for gaming laptop is heat And how well laptop cools down.

Stay away from asus. They throttle Out of the box and according to Asus they working fi e. Terrible reviews.

Lenovo legion 7 have good cooling.
Dell g7 is reasonable and worth taking a look.
Msi is okish but slightly uper in price.

Alianware are ok but expensive.

All I can say, look for reviews write down pros and cons.
Remember lower the tems better performance and longevity. And u don't Want play on 70c keyboard.

Soldato
Just make sure the gpu is not a low power version, the companies try their best to hide that they are selling you the lowest power version that is barely faster than the high power versions from the 20 series

Associate
Can confirm, ASUS suck and make sure you get the GPU TDP you want.
New to gaming laptops I got a RTX 3070... little did I know it wasn't the full fat, but a Max Q 95w, without the label.
I saw all the names on the 20series so just went for the 3070 thinking it would be the beast I expect. Boy was I wrong.

Back
Top Bottom