New gaming PC budget £1000

Associate
Hi,

Any advice on a new gaming PC for my son? I have a budget of around £1000 for the PC, I could stretch to £1200, plus around £200 for a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I am looking for a pre-built system as anything I touch falls apart!

My son plays on an Xbox at the moment. The kind of games he would like to play on the PC are League of Legends, Overwatch, sea of Thieves, Minecraft etc.

He is not looking at VR, just something that will give him good graphics and is not noisy. I have been looking at the Intel/Nvidia combinations. I was wondering what the best combinations of these might be? He is just using it for Gaming, not for watching films or streaming anything while he games.

Thanks

Soldato
Thank you for the reply, unfortunately the monitor is out of stock. The bundle looks very good. Does it need a SSD drive?

Get OCUK to build, will be about £50-80 to build and with their warranty cover

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,262.04 (includes shipping: £15.30)

They can do anything so doesn't have to be off their pre-builts

Should be able to link up his Xbox for freesync and 1440p gameplay is it's the One X

Associate
OP

Thanks for putting the work into the list of items. Sorry, I am completely new to this. Does it need a cooling fan or is this built into the power supply, motherboard, graphics card etc. Just don't want it to get to noisy as the room he will be gaming in can get quite warm. The individual items are new to me, is this comparable to an i7 8700 and GTX 1080. I don't mind which components I use, just want something that is fast enough now and will last a few years.

Soldato
Stock fans aren't to bad to be honest, £20 Ben Nevis 120mm cooler should do .

Intel and 1080 will beat it .. but you pay the cost for it.. specially G-sync monitor etc

Associate
OP
I know it is difficult to give advice as everyone has a slightly different requirement/budget and games are becoming more demanding. Would it be worth me stumping up the extra money for Intel and 1080 now to save having to upgrade in the future or does the list you've given, give me enough for the next few years? I do like the list as it includes the monitor and SSD, just don't want to restrict myself for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds over the lifetime of the PC.

Associate
I know it is difficult to give advice as everyone has a slightly different requirement/budget and games are becoming more demanding. Would it be worth me stumping up the extra money for Intel and 1080 now to save having to upgrade in the future or does the list you've given, give me enough for the next few years? I do like the list as it includes the monitor and SSD, just don't want to restrict myself for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds over the lifetime of the PC.
Yes its worth it

Soldato
ok, thanks. Any more advice or recommendations/lists/builds would be very gratefully received. It is quite a steep learning curve.

Ignore the above comment. The best value for money is Ryzen. You are looking at £428 for an equivalent Intel cpu (i7 8700K). Yes the Intel is faster at 1080p but it isn't worth the extra £259 over the R5 2600. The pricing with Intel right now is just crazy.

As for the GPU the Vega 64 in Orbitals build is on par with a GTX 1080.

Back
Top Bottom