New gaming rig for £800

Associate
Hi everyone, I havent posted here in a loong time! I recognise a few faces around here at least :D I pop back occasionally to try and keep up with the latest developments and to read all the excellent info here. Alas I am a student now and don't really spend much time playing with my pc setup, mainly cos I am always skint :(

I have been asked by my brother to build him a new gaming rig. He is a WOW addict like me and spends a lot of time playing games (Wow, BF2, DOD source). His budget is £800. This is what I am considering atm:

Thermaltake VB1000BWS Soprano SuperMidi Tower - £42.95 (does this come with psu, is it up to the job?)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM - £99.95
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler - £15.95
Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire (Socket 939) - £109.95
PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI(PCI-Express) - Retail £209.95
Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU - £61.95
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit - £129.95

Inc. VAT = £805.58 + shipping (oops £5.58 over ;))

He already has a Panel, DVD writer and some reasonable storage so that isn't included.

I included a crossfire board so that he has an upgrade option in the future. He doesn't plan to use this currently. I was tempted to go with the A8R-MVP because it's £70 cheaper. I originaly specced it with an X1900XT but after reading some bad comments about the board I had a rethink and decided to go with a slightly cheaper card and spend the extra on an A8R32 and some G.Skill. I think this should give some nice stable overclocks (my bro isn't too pc savvy and I am at uni most of the time so it needs to be rock stable.) You may say just don't overclock it, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Over to you guys. What do you think?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks m8. I was gonna leave the final choice of case up to him neway. I have a Lian-Li PC-60 bought from these very forums :) They are nice cases inded!

I just read the 38 page long thread in the motherboard forums about the A8R32 and wished I hadn't :S Seems to be a few problems with this board and certain games. Wasn't pleased to see BF2 mentioned several times. Hopefully the bios update will be released in the next few days before I order or I will be very nervous when it arrives :/

Are there any immediate alternatives?

EDIT: Ty Monstermunch. I was writing my reply at the same time as you. That looks like a very nice spec. I was thinking duel cores would be out of his budget. I dont need the dvd drive either so that puts it just inside £800 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom