New GPU and CPU installed - Crippled PC

Associate
Hi all. After some advice. Yesterday I installed a RTX 4070 super and a Ryzen 7 5800x3d into my son’s gaming PC….. as you can imagine he’s hoping for stellar performance.

I initially made a mistake by just taking out the old CPU (3600) from the B550 motherboard and bunging the new CPU in….. a bit of research gave me the answer to no boot…… re-installed the old CPU and flashed the BIOS…. Then back in with the new CPU and it booted.

PC seems to be working on the surface. It’s just everything is super slow. Any program takes ages to load, sometimes doesn’t, so I restart, some of his online multiplayer shooter show poor WiFi signal and packet loss when our WiFi is really excellent. Basically stuff that has never happened in the last 3 years when his PC worked brilliantly.

Can any of you shed any light on this? Is there something I’m meant to do? Nothing has changed apart from a better GPU and CPU, which has given us a real slow laggy PC!

Man of Honour
Is there something I’m meant to do?
Did you do the chipset drivers and what not?

Did you clear the CMOS?

some of his online multiplayer shooter show poor WiFi signal and packet loss when our WiFi is really excellent
What cables and devices were moved or repositioned when you replaced the CPU? I'd be checking you put everything back securely and you're not using a USB 2 port where it was a USB 3 port before, that kind of stuff.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Did I do the chipset drivers and whatnot? As I have no clue what you’re on about, I’d guess no!!!! Will look at that right now. Also did not clear the CMOS….. will do that too now.

No cables or devices removed. But I could have knocked something as there is a mass of cables in the back….. will check.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Will also look in events viewer.

No did not do fresh windows install. Plus old card was AMD 5600xt. And no did not uninstall the old driver….. what should I do now? Will DDU work with the new nvidia card installed?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Will also look in events viewer.

No did not do fresh windows install. Plus old card was AMD 5600xt. And no did not uninstall the old driver….. what should I do now? Will DDU work with the new nvidia card installed?

DDU *should* still clean up the AMD driver files. But at this point it might be best to bite the bullet and do a full reinstall.

Soldato
The nuclear approach of a bios reset to defaults and a reinstall of windows should sort it.

I'd let windows update find all the drivers, then download the latest Nvidia drivers and tick the option for a clean install/factory reset. You shouldn't need to install the chipset drivers manually on a fresh install + windows normally finds the latest versions.

Associate
OP
So far so good. I’ve been convinced to stop “messing” with the PC now as there’s a Fortnite tournament going on…….

But things are looking sharp and quick and I’m rather hopeful that the nuclear full re-install is the way forward.

Many thanks for all your help. You’ve all been really useful in getting me straight on what was needing doing

Soldato
had to use this tool recently on my system https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 amd have their own driver uninstaller program for gpu drivers, discovered it after i had a problem installing a new driver and no amounts of reinstalls and reboots would help.

would have saved you having to reinstall windows :(

yes i am captain hindsight :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would you believe after my initial jubilation after the fresh windows install that all was fine - a week later back in that same sticky situation.

Here are some symptoms:

Display flickers randomly approx once every 10-20 seconds. Makes a click as it does it

Whole system is slow. Ages to load programs, super sluggish

Double/triple key strokes when typing. Even with different keyboards

Games have internet problems with massive packet loss even though internet is fast and solid for every other PC and device.

Here’s what I’ve done

Removed AMD GPU drivers, used driver removal tool

Fresh windows install

New most recent BIOS update

Checked/reinstalled most up to date Nvidia GPU driver.

All the above was done and worked initially….

Just swapped back to the old AMD 5600XT GPU and have same issues

Could it be the new CPU? Should I change that back too?

Back
Top Bottom