New GPU and CPU installed - Crippled PC

Soldato
When it runs like crap open up task manager and see what’s eating the resources.
I was just thinking a similar thought maybe run time spy with HW info running to check power draws and clocks etc.

Timespy would give you a comparison against a system with the same hardware and also a graph of clock speeds for GPU and cpu

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Noting of note running in task manager

Haven’t run malware bytes yet as I did a clean install. Which I’m currently doing right now as this is what fixed last time. One bonus is my son’s PC is bare bones. Just his games on and nothing more!

I shall look at time spy in a bit. Once the fresh install is done if still the same.

Associate
OP
Here’s a thing…… possibly starting to narrow the issue down.

My son is back from school and has been testing the fresh install I’ve done, which appears to have worked. He is playing Fortnite and has mentioned it looks like it’s on 60hz (god knows how he sees this!). Went to nvidia control panel and it was. If I set to 144hz which his monitor is, he can play for a few mins with smooth motion before massive packet loss kicks in. This does not happen if left on 60hz.

His old AMD 5600xt happily banged out 144hz no problem for years.for info he has an iiyama ultrawide 144hz monitor.

Any idea what could be going on here?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
before massive packet loss kicks in. This does not happen if left on 60hz.

some of his online multiplayer shooter show poor WiFi signal and packet loss when our WiFi is really excellent.
Changing the refresh rate of your monitor ruins the wifi?

Hmm, ... did you happen to move the wifi antenna when you installed the new CPU and graphics card?

Soldato
The last time I heard about something like this (although not the packet loss part) it turned out to be Asus Armory Crate doing it, removing that solved all the problems, though it was worth mentioning. Not a lot else I can say without some systematic process of testing different parts here.

Associate
OP
As for scientific process of elimination, I have tried old gpu with new CPU, but as yet not put the old CPU back in.

And yes, changing the refresh rate messes with the game in respect to packet loss. Never happened before and 144hz worked fine. Now if I set to 144hz I get a packet loss warning and the ping increases from the usual excellent 10-30 to around 70+. The game plays very badly. WiFi antennae are fine. Clearly shown by no issues when set to 60hz.

Associate
OP
There can’t be any programs interacting badly here - such as the mentioned ASU’s Armoury Crate. There is not much on the PC. Avast one is the only thing worth mentioning. But I have always used this - and can’t see why the 144hz causes a problem in that way.

Associate
Try disabling wifi to see if that helps - if its fine with ethernet that could be the culprit
It may be interference. Check the wifi antenna are plugged in properly and potentially try using a shielded HDMI cable
Also, have you tried enabled vsync to see if that changes anything? Are the games pumping out hundreds of fps?

Associate
OP
Can’t really disable WiFi as I don’t have an Ethernet cable long enough. But doing Speedtest gets 270mbs and 20ping. Everything works a treat till I set 144hz. Which is why I ruled out interference. Nothing has changed in this system location.
Using display port not HDMI. Same one as before.
Will try v-sync.
Yes games blasting 3-400fps.

Associate
I saw this issue recently and oddly enough with an rtx 4070 super. started to see a pattern. However i managed to fix the issue by opening the wifi adapter properties and putting the adapter to 20mhz only. For some odd reason this worked but did slightly drop the wifi speeds. My only guess is that maybe the gpu is some how interfering with the wifi signal at high refresh/fps due to the gpu load increasing. worth a try :)

Back
Top Bottom