• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU and odd POST beep code... How to solve?

Associate
Hey everyone,

I was fortunate to secure one of the new Palit 3060 ti GPU's sold by Overclockers recently.
Having fitted it (done plenty of builds over +20 years) I now get a new beep code on POST.

I have an ASUS ROG Ranger VIII board and a Seasonic SS-600HT 600W PSU.

The code is a beep, followed by 3 quick/short beeps. Searching online, suggests a GPU/socket issue?

Does anyone have any idea of what I should do to solve it? PC boots up OK and the card works fine at stock. However have had zero success with the auto OC tool in ThunderMaster software. It runs the OC process and gives a mild result (+200) on mem clock but will not then run any games.

Suggestions welcome! Cheers

Associate
So the card works once POSTed? Only thing I can think of is maybe add a couple of seconds' extra delay to the boot- there is usually an option called 'POST delay' or similar in the BIOS.
I'd guess your board is looking for the GPU before it has a chance to fully power up.

Associate
OP
So the card works once POSTed? Only thing I can think of is maybe add a couple of seconds' extra delay to the boot- there is usually an option called 'POST delay' or similar in the BIOS.
I'd guess your board is looking for the GPU before it has a chance to fully power up.

Yes, card works once POSTed. Have already got a 3 sec POST delay on it - will see if I can add to that.
It's curious as the previous card (1060 6GB) used the same PSU channel/cable and never gave this beep sequence?

Associate
OP
Found this on an Asus site:

4. "One long and three short beeps" from speaker

An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage.

Well, 600W should be enough from what I've read?? Same 8 pin plug as per the 1060 GTX

Associate
Can't see it needing any more than that. Is the 3060 a single or double-plug on the power connectors?

If it's a double, it's usually recommended to use two separate cables to the PSU, rather than one with a daisy-chain connector, but for a 3060...? I'd call a 600W as sufficient. Seasonic PSUs should be up to the job.

Associate
OP
Can't see it needing any more than that. Is the 3060 a single or double-plug on the power connectors?

If it's a double, it's usually recommended to use two separate cables to the PSU, rather than one with a daisy-chain connector, but for a 3060...? I'd call a 600W as sufficient. Seasonic PSUs should be up to the job.

It's powered up via a single 6 pin plug, which I've converted to 8 pin with an adapter cable. Nothing else is powered via that rail.

Is this the issue? The 6pin to 8pin convertor cable??

Or, having checked the PSU spec, it maxxes out at 180w on that rail?
see here: https://microdream.co.uk/seasonic-ss-600ht-sli-ready-psu-power-supply.html

Last edited:
Permabanned
4 short quick beeps on an old Ivy Birdge board here. I'm not concerned by the beeps as everything is working well and as expected. The previous 1080Ti (gen3) didn't produce the beeps so I am guessing it's just down to PCIe gen 4 microcode on the GPU confusing the BIOS. BIOS updates (board/GPU) should sort you out if not now then in the future.

These OC'ing tools are a bit hit and miss as it's really down to the silicon lottery. Keep dialing the OC back a bit with runs of something like Unigen Heaven until you get a repeatale stable result. Ideally you should start out without an small OC and gradually increase until you become unstable then dial back a few notches.

Associate
OP
After I installed my 3060Ti I was gettign three beeps on start up as well. Check your BIOS to see if you have CSM enabled

Thanks! This sorted it. I found the CSM toggle and just switched it over from Enabled to Auto and the system now POSTS with the single 'happy' beep. :)

Back
Top Bottom