• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU - black screen

Associate
Just installed my newly purchased 2070 Super Jetstream but can't get it work. The LEDs are on, the fans are spinning but I am getting a black screen. Cables are fine, also on board graphics work ok (I built the system last weekend but got the card only today).

Already tried/checked the following:

1) Bios - dedicated card selected
2) disabled on board graphics in Win

Any ideas anyone?

edit: just got it to work with the HDMI cable, which means that:

1) it's the DVI cable - hopefully, it's brand new as it came with the monitor
2) It's either the monitor or the RTX 2070...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed my newly purchased 2070 Super Jetstream but can't get it work. The LEDs are on, the fans are spinning but I am getting a black screen. Cables are fine, also on board graphics work ok (I built the system last weekend but got the card only today).

Already tried/checked the following:

1) Bios - dedicated card selected
2) disabled on board graphics in Win

Any ideas anyone?

edit: just got it to work with the HDMI cable, which means that:

1) it's the DVI cable - hopefully, it's brand new as it came with the monitor
2) It's either the monitor or the RTX 2070...

Might be PSU related, as in not being able to supply enough power.

What is your current model and how old?

Also, are you using separate cables for the GPU?

Man of Honour
eah...you gotta be giving us a bit more info than that mate.
eg: what are the exact specs of the parts you have inside.

a few pics of the internals would help as well.

Associate
OP
Might be PSU related, as in not being able to supply enough power.

What is your current model and how old?

Also, are you using separate cables for the GPU?

Everything still smells of the factory it was made it. It's a Palit JS 2070 Super hooked to a Straight Power 650w so plenty of juice available here. Apart from that there's only a i5 9600k in the case that would be a bit more power hungry. I am using the standard 8 pin to 2 x 8 pin cable that came with the PSU. I left the 2 pin to 2x6 pin that came with the GPU in the box as it's:

a) ugly
b) way too short
c) propably the cheapest they could source

Again,HDMI is working ok, so....

Last edited:
Associate
Did you try changing the "source" on the monitor? Sorry... Had to ask (not being patronising).

Anyhow, I've had certain ports not work before on a 7970 and before that on a 6950. I'd try - new cable - different monitor/TV (if possible) - second PSU - different pc. Again all if possible, could be any of those things really

Associate
OP
Did you try changing the "source" on the monitor? Sorry... Had to ask (not being patronising).

Anyhow, I've had certain ports not work before on a 7970 and before that on a 6950. I'd try - new cable - different monitor/TV (if possible) - second PSU - different pc. Again all if possible, could be any of those things really

Yes, I did change the source manually on my monitor. Figured that out already last Saturday when I was test-driving the system :)

I have ordered a new DP cable. I will also try a hard reset of the monitor. Problem is - I wouldn't really know anyone else that owns a PC so I might have to pay the local computer guy to come out with a desktop system and a monitor to help me with testing the stuff. I haven't owned a desktop PC in ages so there's no old parts that I could stick into the case to try things out.

I know how to trouble shoot things but because of the above mentioned limitations I won't be able to do anything before this WE. Hence I'm asking here and hoping to come across some inspirational thoughts, haha.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
eah...you gotta be giving us a bit more info than that mate.
eg: what are the exact specs of the parts you have inside.

a few pics of the internals would help as well.

i5 9600k, Palit JS 2070 SUPER, bequiet Straight Power 650w, Acer Z35P monitor. As mentioned above, I am using the 8 pin to 2 x 8 pin power cable that came with the PSU. Each plug clicks when connecting so there's no issue here and the PSU is powerful enough.

I got the monitor from laptopsdirect and because I am kinda obsessed with bad pixels I had it tested and that should have included also the inputs so my assumption would be the problem is not on this side of the cable.

I am getting a different cable now and will have to pay the local computer fella to come out this WE with a computer plus monitor to help me test both the GPU as well as the monitor to help me narrow down the root cause of the issue but in the meantime I was looking for some inspiration to look into thing I haven't considered yet.

Man of Honour
I am using the 8 pin to 2 x 8 pin power cable that came with the PSU. Each plug clicks when connecting so there's no issue here and the PSU is powerful enough.
are you using 2 individual cables or one cable with 2 connectors daisy chained?

6tnLUq9.png
this is an image of your PSU. make sure that pcie1 and pcie2 cables are connected and each cable individually plugs into your graphics card.

Associate
OP

this is an image of your PSU. make sure that pcie1 and pcie2 cables are connected and each cable individually plugs into your graphics card.

So the other end of each split cable would remain not connected? What's the max output per socket again? 150W? I will do it tonight after work and report back.

Associate
OP

That was it. Cheers!

Associate
OP
Intel should be pretty straightforward. Just hit the xmp profile and load it. Done.

Nah. Makes the BIOS crash after reboot. Tomorrow I'll see if I need to flash the mobo and will take it from there. I think I had the XMP on yesterday, tho. Let's see...

Back
Top Bottom