New GPU for I7-870 2.93Ghz

Associate
Hi all,

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
CPU: I7-870 2.93Ghz
RAM: 16gb
PSU is around 700w.

I was thinking 1060 3Gb or 6Gb? Potential bottleneck? Alternatives? 1050 TI 4gb?

If the 1060 is a good choice, can somebody help me understand the differences between brands, etc.?

Yours noobily.

Soldato
Hi all,

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
CPU: I7-870 2.93Ghz
RAM: 16gb
PSU is around 700w.

I was thinking 1060 3Gb or 6Gb? Potential bottleneck? Alternatives? 1050 TI 4gb?

If the 1060 is a good choice, can somebody help me understand the differences between brands, etc.?

Yours noobily.

what res are you gaming at? and have you overclocked your CPU?

if 1080p, and havent overclocked your CPU its worth doing it even with current GPU or potential upgrade .
GTX 1060 6GB should be fine with your core- you are running first gen and can't lie with saying upgrading it will give extra Frames -

Did a personal build log of going from i7 860 @4Ghz to i5 7600k and gamed over 10 FPS from 1080p to 4k using 660/980 Ti/1070 - cant find my log though :(
you'll find DX12 will be a massive help to your core- kept reading all this "c**p" about DX12 doing nothing for CPUs when on Gen 1/2 intel cores they helped from 7-15fps !

slap in a 6GB if you've got the budget for it - means you can also turn all of the settings up a notch compared to the 1050Ti which is stress the GPU more and hopefully lower any bottleneck. See how you get on with CPU usage in your Games at what ever resolution your at, if its 100% whilst GPU is lower- trying up-scaling games resolution - if this does means scarifying more image quality then your happy with, then might consider changing out the CPU.

I core gen 2 had a big leap over first gen with 3rd having a good increase as well, after that - performance from each future gen hasn't been such a leap :(

Associate
OP
Thanks, @orbitalwalsh I've not overclocked it, as I don't know how...but the motherboard webpage seems to talk about having ways of doing it, etc. Again, forgive my ignorance!

Can you advise on which 1060 6Gb to choose? Feels like a bit of a minefield.

Soldato
Thanks, @orbitalwalsh I've not overclocked it, as I don't know how...but the motherboard webpage seems to talk about having ways of doing it, etc. Again, forgive my ignorance!

Can you advise on which 1060 6Gb to choose? Feels like a bit of a minefield.

first port of call- update the bios ! and then from there- cant quite remember with that board but there should be an auto overclock feature in BIOS that will do it for you! if not- software that came with the board can do it aswell :)
if your not comfortable doing it yourself- really worth giving the auto OC features a shot- should hit a good overclock and will get you gains and ease bottleneck.
Good time for mobo/cpu at the moment and getting better- but def see how you fare with GPU upgrade :)

can only give my personal opinion- and im biased to ASUS and Gigabyte - but even have pet hates for certain models in their own range.

selection in different prices and brands.

asus is current on sale - and is a good price- personally dont like this model they do and the Strix flagship is a better made card and looks stunning but you pay the price. the cooler is cheaply made on the Dual and they dont bother to cool the ram chips which are left naked - juts lazy

Gigabyte have solid rep presence on this site- to be honest its more of a bonus if you've bought the card else were as OCUK doesnt have awesome CS and RMA but gigabyte reps can help with RMA as well - even have a drop in center if your local lol.
They tend to cool the key 3 components , Chip, Ram,VRM on the main heatsink which most rivals dont- good practice but often leads the cards being warmer then others

Zotac have 5 year warranty - its 3 years and sign up for 2 year. First 3 years retailer deals with RMA, 2 years after that gets sent to Hong Kong - unless ocuk can handle full 5 years- zotac normally are very aggressive on pricing to

EVGA- RMA center is in EU but might have UK center now - the star attraction is the support 2nd hand RMA! meaning if your selling your card- people will more then likely choose EVGA cards as warranty can be transferred
also their Overclock software is one of the best- most either use theirs or MSI's one

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,129.06
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Most of my own builds tend to be Gigabyte/Aorus with top ends being Strix cards- although zotac deals do pop up and hard for me to resist - but i buy via trade and pricing is very different

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh Wow - thanks for the comprehensive reply! Cheapest sounds best at the mo. I'd not really like to push over £250. But a bit wary of the cooling side of things...hmm!

honestly the cooler will cool the GPU chip just fine- also the VRM have a little heatsink- its just at full price its not a cheap card that cheaper rivals go the extra mile to make sure everything is under some metal :)

its also just thicker then 2 PCIe slots- they dont mention this on the design- but not really an issue to be honest - specially when you cant use two of them with the 1060 series :)

its is a good deal- and hard not to grab- and i believe time or stock is limited

Soldato
Thanks again, @orbitalwalsh

I've currently got this in:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/gts-450-zone-edition

I'm not at the PC now but do you think it will fit in the same space? Also, presume OC is where it's on sale?

these cards are a fair bit bigger then your current one :) and a lot more powerful :D

what case do you have? well... if it doesnt fit.. new case time ;) £44 lands you Coolmaster small tower, black with window panel

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coolermaster-masterbox-lite-5-midi-tower-case-black-ca-36m-cm.html

Soldato
Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
I need to check the fans. There's a big one on the top of the unit and one at the side, I think, but not sure overall. Thanks again!

Best price is at OC, yeah?

Soldato
I need to check the fans. There's a big one on the top of the unit and one at the side, I think, but not sure overall. Thanks again!

Best price is at OC, yeah?

cant really state price wise from other sites but think they are leading with the ASUS dual OC card to be honest - least one of the best Customer service and they also have a 48 turn around account with Asus - cant quite remember , @Gibbo might be able to clear that up- just means have good standings with asus :D

Soldato
Hi, @orbitalwalsh It has two fans at the front plus one at the back and a bigger one on the top. Other than that, just a vent on the removable panel.

This arrives tomorrow:

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
Thanks for the buying help!

The motherboard doesn't have specific Windows 10 drivers but I'll try an old one. Any OC'ing tips?

Is there any OC options in Bios, think it's called TU or VTurbo - Asus bios is normally good and explains every option there is

Soldato
If anybody can recommend where I can get a PCIe 6-pin male to male cable, please let me know!

What power supply do you have , make/model ?
Should have at least one PCIe 6 pin on it - should like you have a modular PSU , connect the cables you need to the PSU rather then having them all connected in a bunch .
If you have got a 6 pin, then and not reaching ? Then you'll need an extension , female to male . If you haven't got a cable- then might need New PSU.
Able to take pics and upload ?

Back
Top Bottom