• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

new Graphic card

Associate
Hi all

thinking of new graphics card, but worried old system will bottle neck a too high card, so any advice on what I could use,

current system intel dual core E8400 @ 4ghz
8GB DDR2
on an asus P5Q delux
ATI 4870 512MB (this is to be replaced)

Budget £200

Thanks in advance Bowzah

Associate
On my iPad at the moment so can't link anything directly but for £200 you have a couple of options:

280x / 285 for AMD or a Nvidia 760.

I'd be going for the AMD camp at that budget range myself. Have a look at the 285 and 280x both will be great.

Soldato
Any AMD card will benefit you greatly. It is as powerful as any Nvidia, and you will gain a lot of performance on games that support Mantle to deal with the ancient E8400.

Personally I would go with the 280X, or with bit more this one

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-239-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

Yes some might say going to be "bottlenecked" by the CPU, but for the money it will serve you very well.
And support Freesync this one if you want to replace your monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the info, I think I will go just Graphics card,

look to do more udates after Christmas is out the way,

Bowzah

Associate
OP
Glad i joined here and continued to read the forums,
with the new Nvidia cards out now, should I look at the GTX970 over the AMD 290 ?

I plan to use the card to play SOE Landmark nect gen MMO

thanks

Bowza

Back
Top Bottom