New Hardware (upgrade)

Associate
Hey all,

I am forced too update my PC, due too some hardware failures. Just to ask before I upgrade, I have a GeForce 6800GT Pci Express Graphics card, and have been having crashes during games, and graphical problems in game, I thought this was down too over heating, but all the fans are spinning and they are all running quite cool. I tried 3Dmark06, but it crashed almost instantly, so I guess this is a graphics card failure?

Anyway, back too the point, I am thinking of getting a Gainward BLISS GeForce 6800 GS "Goes Like Hell" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-027-GW), or anything around the £200 mark.

I am also think about upgrading my ram, at the moment, I have 1gig Crucial Ballistix Ram PC4000 dual channel, but I have a Asus A8N Deluxe Motherboard which only supports upto PC3200, so I was thinking about selling my old gig stick, and getting some 2gig PC3200 Dual channel Ram, any recomendations on that too would be appreitated.

Thanks

Myth

Associate
To be honest, you won't be UPgrading with the 6800GS, it'll merely be a replacement card as it's not gonna be better than your GT. PC4000 (500MHz) is fine with the motherboard even though it supports upto PC3200 (400MHz), it just means you can overclock the RAM from PC3200 speeds to PC4000 speeds. However, you will benefit better with 2GB RAM.

Soldato
spose a 7800gt would be alright, 6800gt/U's are still floating about a fair bit so if you wanted another you shouldnt have to much trouble finding one, plus i think they are still on offer on OCuk

Associate
When you say 3d mark crashes what do you mean? full system lockup? looping sound? CTD? spontanious reboot? or just a "3dmark has encountered a problem and needs to close" type thing?

can perhaps narrow it down for you

Back
Top Bottom