New HDD Won't Boot.

Associate
Hi there,

I just bought a new 500Gb Western Digital Blue Caviar hard-drive from the overclockers website, with intention to use it in an external eSata environment (using an IcyBox).

To cut a long story short, the hard-drive will not boot. Whether I connect to my desktop or my laptop via USB or eSata, the hard-drive will not trigger any response from the machine in question. Earlier today I opened up my main case and connected the hard-drive to my main motherboard power-supply and SATA cabling, swapping it for my main current primary drive. The drive was still not recognised-- even when I booted from my Vista install CD (DVD-RW drive) and then went through the Windows installation in an attempt to format the drive. The Windows set-up would only recognise my USB MyBook external drive :p.

I'm guessing that this hard-drive is just kaputt? Slightly frustrating considering it was broken-upon-delivery...

Soldato
Is it recognized in the bios? Ive had drives which didn't show up in windows until I went into administrative tools>Computer management>Disk Management and set it to a dynamic volume. Im not 100% sure its the same situation but based on the info you gave its a possibility.

Associate
OP
It doesn't display in the BIOS either, no.

Whereas my primary drive shows up in SATA port 2 as a HDD, with the new drive connected up to my mobo via the primary (and only) cables, the BIOS just shows a blank space next to SATA port 2- as if the device is unrecognised or just unresponsive. All the other (non-occupied) SATA ports display as being empty in my BIOS, and are 'Auto Scannable' for new media and so on.

The drive itself makes repeated boot-up noises, where you can hear the drive trying to initialize and start... but it just repeats the same continual whirring-up and powering down over and over. I do fear it is kaputt... which is a major inconvenience because I am at my University accommodation at the moment, and all of the original packaging is at home :p.

Guess I'll stick with external desktop hard-drives in the future, this external eSata idea has been a rather expensive mistake!

Soldato
Try it in a different pc, and then if it does the same - I'd send it back as faulty. If u have a floppy disk drive connected to the mobo, disconnect that cause if its the wrong way round it can cause HD problems. I formatted a HD before I realized the problem.

Really sounds like its kapput, sorry for late reply.

Back
Top Bottom