New Headphones HELP

Associate
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could kindly help me with choosing a new pair of headphones?

At the moment I'm using HyperX cloud with a Asus Xonar do 7.1 SC.

I've seen the AKG 702 and the Beyedynamics 990 and need help with choosing one?

Headphones will be used mostly for gaming, and from what I read the 702 are more for competiveness and the 990 are more fun factor. Has anyone used both and if so what would you recommend?

Also would my soundcard be effective driving these headphones or will a amp be better?

If I need a amp please link me to a best bang for buck.

Budget is around 100-120 by the wa

Thanks guys

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply.

Here is my soundcard https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...s-sound-card-90-yaa060-1uan0bz-sc-002-as.html

It does have Dolby headphone and with the settings DH but I tend to switch off and leave it on stereo when gaming.

In fact my budget would probably be £100-120 for the headphones alone and whatever best bang for buck if needing an AMP to get best results. It's my bday so wouldn't mind treating myself

At the moment though I'm feeling pushed towards the AKG K702

Associate
OP
@EsaT your input has been really helpful!

I've had my soundcard for like 5-6 years now so if it's recommended for me to replace it I defintely would. I've had my money's worth out of it.

I've made my choice and I'm going for AKG k702. Would you recommend me getting a AMP for this?

Associate
OP
I've just bought the AKG K702

Will my soundcard be okay to drive these headphones?

As I've been reading that these headphones are hungry to drive. I'm new to all this 'sound' stuff so any feedback will help me :)

Associate
OP
I had a feeling that would be the case. Thank you for your help.

What would you recommend me to buy? I've been looking at the Fiio Ek17 and Bravo Ocean, but I don't fully understand what I need.

Being able to still use my DSP effects sounds like a good idea instead of just letting my soundcard rot.

Associate
OP
This just sounds like a right pain. Most of the Amps that seem to be ideal for the k702 are too expensive for me or are out of stock or unavailable in the U.K.

I've been doing a lot of research into the K702 and I just can't seem to find anything in budget. As paying such a price just doesn't seem worth it, in what I want it for.

I only want the headphones for competitive gaming. Something better than my hyper x cloud. However the reviews of these K702 sold it to me.

Most of the information you're providing is like a new language to me too as I have literally no knowledge in this field.

@V F with how you're using your k702 what's you're opinion on the smsl sap2 connected to your soundcard?

Associate
OP
My god this is like the hardest decision ever! :p

I've just came across another option. I could purchase an external amp such as the Shitt Magni 3 (back in stock on official website) and just use my soundcard as the DAC so I can still use its benefits!

To me this doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!

What would you guys think?

But I'm hearing good feedback regarding the Soundblaster AE-5.

Also as my motherboard is quite old, I'm worried about the Soundblaster having issues :/. But it seems like it would be compatible after some small research, but everyone know how PCs can be a pain haha

EDIT: then near future purchase the MODI

Associate
OP
Even worse is that I don't use Dolby headphone much as the game I play most (Rainbow Six Siege) is better/recommended to play the game in Stereo.

However, upgrading to AKGs (from Hyper X Cloud) could make surround sound much better, but I can't comment on that just of yet.

If I went with the Magni/Modi DAC, what other advantages would their be compared to only having the Soundblaster AE-5?

I do have the Edifier c2xd speakers too so these could benefit but they have their own little amp. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edif...m-with-distortion-control-c2xd-sp-039-er.html

I use my Headphones for gaming 80% but occasionally listen to Music and watch the odd thing.

Another thing, the issue of eventually becoming bored of games.

You guys have been a great help! Just would like to say Thank you.

I did not realise this was going to be a tough decision.

Associate
OP
Right guys

I've finally made My decision.

I cancelled my order of the AKG K702 and ordered AKG K712 instead.

From reading an endless amount of reviews I want to sacrifice some competitiveness for 'fun'. I feel like I'd enjoy the AKG K712 a lot more. Also from reading an old post from @EsaT I could tweak EQ slightly to my preference.

I've ordered this with the Soundblaster AE-5. As I've only ever used the Asus Xonar 7.1 soundcard, I hope this will be a vast improvement :). From what I've seen I think it will be.

Managed to get K712 for £144 but refurbished, but from the company I purchased them from I do trust them, as I got a refurbished keyboard before and it looked brand new. I could have gotten them for £125 but I don't really trust CeX B grade product.

I got the Soundblaster AE-5 for £110.

You guys have been great help and would like to say thank you to everyone one of you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom