New headset : Pimax Crystal

Interesting, didn't know about this. Damn you, I was all set to wait until I get a new GPU in the next year perhaps, but now you've sown a seed ;)

Given I already use DLSS upscaling for VR in MSFS 2020, will this Pimax upscaling work ok alongside that I wonder? It will have to or it will be useless for me on a 3090.

I'm not sure technically how they are doing it, but can't see it being a problem.

Can I just ask those that have very recently got a Pimax Crystal/ Crystal Light, what GPU are you running?

I'm trying to weigh up if my current RTX 3090 has the grunt or not (for MSFS 2020 primarily). Using a Reverb G2 at the mo and I'm itching for some extra clarity. Was toying with the PSVR2 for the OLED goodness (and because it's cheap) but the lenses and actual resolution of the panels are no better, so it's pointless.
I am running a 4090 with the crystal light. with the native resolution of this headset with msfs 2020 i can reach 60fps with medium to high settings (DLSS off) but only just though. gpu usage hits 90/95 percent. its the same with IL 2 sturmovik, 60fps max with max gpu usage. the clarity of the headset is superb, it just needs a 5090 to complement the native resolution.

I am running a 4090 with the crystal light. with the native resolution of this headset with msfs 2020 i can reach 60fps with medium to high settings (DLSS off) but only just though. gpu usage hits 90/95 percent. its the same with IL 2 sturmovik, 60fps max with max gpu usage. the clarity of the headset is superb, it just needs a 5090 to complement the native resolution.
How are you finding the lenses? I had difficulty with focusing on distant objects with the OG Crystal and it gave me eye strain. Have they fixed it with the PCL?

Last edited:
How are you finding the lenses? I had difficulty with focusing on distant objects with the OG Crystal and it gave me eye strain. Have they fixed it with the PCL?
Possibly not. im not sure if this relates to your problem but for me distant objects were also slightly out of focus but if i wear my reading glasses everything is clear and sharp with no eye strain, apparently pimax designed the heasdset like this. it has a focal point of 1 metre instead of the usual 1.5m / 2m which other headsets use so if you need reading or computer glasses then the distant view wont be sharp. i have ordered some intermediate lens inserts so i dont risk scratching the lenses. I have never had to wear my reading glasses in a headset before now.

Last edited:
Possibly not. im not sure if this relates to your problem but for me distant objects were also slightly out of focus but if i wear my reading glasses everything is clear and sharp with no eye strain, apparently pimax designed the heasdset like this. it has a focal point of 1 metre instead 1.5m / 2m which other headsets use so if you need reading or computer glasses then the distant view wont be sharp. i have ordered some intermediate lens inserts so i dont risk scratching the lenses. I have never had to wear my reading glasses in a headset before now.
Cross your eyes and look at your nose, now while your eyes are doing that try and focus on something further away without uncrossing them. That's the feeling I got when looking at distant objects in a Crystal.
It's not the focal distance thing as I could see some objects quite clear. VR doesn't require your pupils to focus on near/far objects as it has a fixed focal distance. If your eyes can see any object clear in VR then the headset is good for your focal distance - unless the lenses / IPD / 3D rendering is messed up

Back
Top Bottom