New Home Router Search.

Associate
I'm looking for a new router to replace my ageing Linksys WRT 1900ACS.

I'm after a router with good throughput as I'm going to move to CityFibre shortly, and want - if possible 2.5Gbe ethernet ports, as I have a multi gig Zyxel switch. Not that fussed on the Wifi, as I am thinking of adding a Mesh Wifi system to cover the house, as the router location is in the office at one end of the house.

It would be nice if the new system was OpenWRT compatible, but that is not essential these days.

Soldato
I’m not sure what 2.5GbE ports in your router give you if you’re uplinking to a 2.5GbE switch because (currently) the incoming traffic won’t exceed 1Gbps. Anyway, you want 2.5GbE on the router so I would suggest the Mikrotik RB5009UG+S+IN which is very powerful for the money and offers 10GbE as well through SFP+.

Like @ChrisD. I would be looking at an Intel N5105 or N6005 appliance with the Intel i225 Rev3 chipset.

or the new Netgate 4100 which performs well but at really low power.

Soldato
In our old office we had a 2Gbps leased line and very, very, few connections got close to using half of it. Which was the main reason it wasn’t renewed. I currently have a 1Gbps and a 900Mbps connection at home (business and personal lines) and it’s very rare that I see sustained 1 Gbps traffic except when we establish a backup connection to one of the other home offices.

I‘m sure there are servers on the internet capable of feeding a 1Gbps connection for sustained periods but I suspect they will fairly rare or only at non-peak times. Probably lots of them are torrent sites etc. Sky, BBC, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. don‘t seem to want to feed my gear that fast although I suspect that’s because they’re splitting their bandwidth for QoS purposes.

Back
Top Bottom