New iPads Tomorrow??

Soldato
Worth noting the new iPad, as the new budget model may have the A9 but it's also got the non-bonded screen like the older iPads and is thicker (and possibly heavier) than an iPad Air 2.

Based on this I imagine an April event might still be a thing for the iPad Pro; the regular iPad is now in iPod Touch territory when it comes to upgrades.

Soldato
That non laminated screens means I'll skip this one. I've an air and an air 2 in the house and the air with the non bonded screen is bouncy in comparison to the air 2 and feels a bit cheap.

Caporegime
The price doesn't seem too bad for these, though the 32->128GB hike is a big step for a few cheap chips.

Will wait to see how the Pro 2 stacks up as my ipad 4 is crawling nowadays.

Soldato
I've got an old iPad 3 (first retina iPad with 30 pin connector) - would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Much faster? I assume the screen would be identical? Thanks.

That's the iPad I have and I think it's safe to say anything would be an upgrade over these. They're so slow these days. I only use mine now if I want to watch something if I'm having a bath and that's rare

Soldato
It wasn't mentioned but I presume this new model will have 2GB RAM, which if you don't desire the Pro features and can live with the inferior screen at least will make it a better experience than anything older than an Air 2.

Associate
It wasn't mentioned but I presume this new model will have 2GB RAM, which if you don't desire the Pro features and can live with the inferior screen at least will make it a better experience than anything older than an Air 2.

When you say inferior screen, is it the same as the iPad 3 (first retina iPad), and just not as good as the Air ones?

Soldato
Yeah they introduced the bonded display and anti-reflective coating with the iPad Air 2, which is the main reason for it being thinner to the Air 1 since it removed the gap between the screen and the glass. There's a comparison on MacRumors between the Air 2/Pro 9.7"/this budget iPad here if you want to peruse.

Soldato
I've got an old iPad 3 (first retina iPad with 30 pin connector) - would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Much faster? I assume the screen would be identical? Thanks.

Definitely, that thing was never a great device in my experience! Think they tried to shoehorn the retina screen into it, I guess that was why the 4th gen came out relatively quickly.

Soldato
I also have the 3rd Gen iPad - It's pretty slow now...

Unsure whether to get the "iPad" or go for the Pro 9.7in model...

Soldato
Looks like I'll be getting a Pro 9.7" then, unless there's a compelling reason not to?
I also have the 3rd Gen iPad - It's pretty slow now...

Unsure whether to get the "iPad" or go for the Pro 9.7in model...

If you can afford the extra get the Pro, even if you don't plan on using the Pencil, things like the 4 speakers, FaceTime camera and wider colour gamut make it a less gimped device.

I would hold out a month though - iOS 10.3 has code in for new iPad Pros and that's due out soon.

Soldato
well I wasn't impressed with the ipad refresh so decided to pick up an air 2 from the refurbished store. 128gb for £399. Happy with that. It will spend all its life playing movies from the skyq app when I go away with work.

has anyone bought a refurbed ipad before? are they decent

Back
Top Bottom