New job, new car

Associate
Need some help choosing a used car. For the last 2 years I've had a daily commute of ~100 miles. On Monday I start a new job with a monthly commute of 100 miles, so quite a change. Once I've settled in I will begin my hunt for a suitable car, but while I'm holiday this week I thought I'd make a start.

Regarding my requirements, this is what I've come up with so far.

1. Budget up to 17k, but would rather spend less than this
2. Mileage 8k per year
3. Mainly just me in the car, but also needs to hold family of 4 for the occasional trip to France, so needs reasonable space for luggage.
4. Preferably 4 doors
5. No preference on petrol or diesel. Petrol probably makes more sense considering the low mileage I do.
6. Not looking for extreme power. Wife has a 120d. Something sub 8s would be nice.
7. Under 5 years old, preferably newer. Less than 60k on the clock.

Started looking at BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

All help appreciated.

Associate
OP
You could spend quite a bit less than you've initially looked at and get a very nice octavia vrs tfsi - 0-60 7ish so not excessive given your needs, nice cars to drive, tend to be well specced and have a great amount of usable space for you, the family and the dog if need be. By all accounts they're reasonable enough on fuel and fairly reliable too.

I've been having a look at them recently and been really quite impressed, the facelift car looks fresh and the interior seems to be slightly improved too.

I always fancied one too, they seem to offer great value for money, but I can't seem to be able to convince the rest of the family.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;21663040 said:
Not for this budget. It's simply too much money to spend on an E60 and not enough for an F10.

I'm not questioning your expertise, but I would like to understand why this is too much money to spend on a E60.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;21663483 said:
It's car thats been around for a long time now - it first appeared a little over 9 years ago. £18k is a lot of money to spend on a car thats far from fresh in this way. It also majored on tech at the expense of quality. The facelift in 2007 went some way towards redressing the balance but, meh, I just don't see the point in sinking this sort of money into one really.

Could this also be said of the E90?

Associate
OP
To be fair the a3 is and feels very old now, nearly ten years. There's nothing wrong with it as such no but other cars even from the same stable and based on the same platform are that little bit more modern now and imo offer more. I still love the 8p s3 but the a3 design has had its day....around 5 years ago

Also the application of "drls" on the a3 in particular simply cannot be forgiven (I know why they're there), who the hell signed that off?

Still like the looks of the A3, but it's too small IMO.

Associate
OP
Did you see Dr House's post about Jag XFs? Could be a good shout, although it's more of a 5 series competitor rather than a 3 series one.

Definitely worth considering. Anyone own one here?

What are the servicing / repair bills like on the XFs?

Is there a warranty worth buying?

Back
Top Bottom