New kitchen or not?

Man of Honour
We moved in our house last summer. The house was built in 2017 and whilst there isn't anything hugely wrong with the kitchen, it's bottom of the line Symphony stuff and has a really cheap worktop and some of the cupboards are poorly designed. We are also not a fan of the colour - glossy grey! We'd both love a new kitchen and we can afford to have it done. We'd likely have the hallway and kitchen flooring replaced too as again, it's grey (although a dark grey) and it shows up the smallest bit of dirt. The original dishwasher has already been replaced and we've been looking at new ovens as well as a new hob. Then we got thinking before we do that, let's get some kitchen quotes done.

The main problem being that we are planning to move to a new house in 3-5 years time. We love the house, but there are a few things we are not keen on and it's not something that can be fixed easily (we want a double garage, bigger garden, and a proper utility for winter dog cleaning after walks).

The house is currently worth ~£430k and whilst new kitchens do add value, I don't think we'd get anywhere near back what we put in. The flip side is that it's the kitchen where we spend most of our time.

Thoughts? Heart says get a new kitchen, you only live once etc, we live here so enjoy iy and things change which mean we may not end up moving. Such as the housing market crashing etc. My head says don't be stupid, it's throwing money away as it isn't going to add that much value.

Soldato
Sounds like a decision only you can make.
it won't add any real value to the house given that current kitchen is only a few years old.
I definitely wouldn't be considering replacing a kitchen (that isn't knackered) in a house I didn't plan on staying in.

Cheaper options, you can get just the worktop replaced for one more suited to your taste for very little, and the cupboard doors could be painted to freshen up the feel of the kitchen a bit.

Soldato
You can do work surfaces quite easily. And units can be reconfigured with bolt ons from IKEA. I wouldn't do significantly more than this if you are reliant on paying tradesmen.

If you are lucky you can rebuy the same door fronts in a different style.

Soldato
I’m going through the early stages of getting ideas for a kitchen refit. Getting tradesmen in isn’t easy, getting quotes is even harder, and my own estimate for having the kitchen done is well below two estimates I have received. If not needed save yourself the stress and aggravation.

Associate
No way you get all money back if you replace the whole lot. Even with the floor might just be better buy a cheep rug in the hall way.

remember high chance people just rip it out when they move as they want another colour.

Soldato
You said yourself there is nothing hugely wrong with it, so I would live with it, especially as you're planning to move. I think it's quite wasteful the amount of perfectly serviceable kitchens people rip out, so if this is one less that gets scrapped, great.

Soldato
Yeh, I defo just put up with it for 3-5 years. Save the money. Who knows your next kitchens in the new house might be your ideal one and it’s happy days.

I wouldn’t even upgrade the flooring either, save save save!

The only way I’d consider it is if adding a high end kitchen with quartz counter top would significantly increase the value of the house to justify the cost of doing it.

Soldato
Do you like the style / layout overall?

Im just painting my cupboards + new handles + new worktops and new tile back splash.

I guess I could replace the whole thing, but for the kitchen + utility I imagine it would be in the region of 6 to 8k cabinets and overall they're fitted fairly well/not a huge amount I'd change. I don't intend to ever move and if I really thought I could improve it for the 8 or so k I possibly would but I'd rather put the money into nice handles, nice taps etc.

Old colour (apologies its not the same position but gives an idea)
Y5KpBrf.jpeg

New colour/handles - ignore everything above the cabinets as the worktop/tiles getting changed. Would help if my new plinths had been delivered as they will be getting painted also.

9cgHJfd.jpeg

Can't type for toffee
Don
Aye depending on the units you might be able to just have them painted?

Chucking a granite worktop on transformed ours like.

I did pretty much plan the kitchen around our range cooker. Gas w/wok burner on top and a single large oven :D love it, even has a rotissirie in it haha.

Whilst youll not "get back" the money u spend you may increase its desirablility(and therefore price commanded should you sell) with a nice kitchen

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks everyone. I think we are going to get a few things replaced, but not do the whole kitchen. As has been said, it's probably going to be too much money for the time we are staying here.

New worktop, sink, boiling water tap, hob, extractor and splashback. Now to try and find someone to do it!

Soldato
Thanks everyone. I think we are going to get a few things replaced, but not do the whole kitchen. As has been said, it's probably going to be too much money for the time we are staying here.

New worktop, sink, boiling water tap, hob, extractor and splashback. Now to try and find someone to do it!

I would save yourself some more cash and don’t go for the boiling water tap personally

Back
Top Bottom