New laptop for daughter going to uni help

Associate
Hey folks

Long time reader of these forums but this is my first post, my daughter is heading tom uni in September this year to study Law o in need of a new laptop, I'm not too clued up on laptops so really after some advice, i'm imagining she will use it most for browsing, research Excell, word etc , then perhaps netflix or the like in her free time.

I've been looking at both of these that seem a good price but not too sure on the 16gb vs 8gb of ram , basically any advice on the ones i have linked too would be great or any other suggestions or advice.

*** NO COMPETITOR LINKS - PLEASE READ THE RULES ***

Thanks
Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
What courses will she be doing? Are there any recommendations from staff or the university specifically? Many will say Chromebooks aren’t suitable and I’d imagine you’ll see more MacBooks than windows laptops if recent photos from colleges and university lecture halls are anything to go by.

What courses will she be doing? Are there any recommendations from staff or the university specifically? Many will say Chromebooks aren’t suitable and I’d imagine you’ll see more MacBooks than windows laptops if recent photos from colleges and university lecture halls are anything to go by.
She is going to study law so nothing too computer intensive like graphic design etc , i'm assumimng mosty research the word, excell etc

She is going to study law so nothing too computer intensive like graphic design etc , i'm assumimng mosty research the word, excell etc
A lottttt of typing for law so a comfortable keyboard is probably really key - but you also spend a lot of time referencing multiple pieces of text at the same time so definitely agree with @radderfire about at least 16GB of RAM.

I can't remember ever opening Excel once during the law modules I had but the amount of windows/PDFs I had open to swap between was countless at times.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Macbook, I'd probably say if you could get a refurb Macbook Pro (M1) then you'd be sorted. It's all budget dependent really.

Back
Top Bottom