New little toy :)

Associate
very nice! if sum1 wud buy my current laptop id get one of these for sure!

if any 1 is interested its an acer 8204wlmi (one with carbon fibre lid:D )

Soldato
OP
interesting after my little moanaemail to sony customer services I got a call from the repair centre today asking where could they email me the quote after they initially said they wouldnt do that, anyway im a little confused as I was told verbally it was going to cost £748 to replace the screen but the quote says

UK Notebook Repair Low Flat Fee 190.84
Low fee to arrange the collection (basic repairs included) Replacement of Screen is covered by Hff - £742.97

followed by a bit underneath saying total to pay is 190.84 + vat = £219.47

what one earth does covered by Hff mean?

Soldato
so Sony are going to charge you almost £800 to repair it??

that is robbery at its best, i doubt the screen would cost them £200 to replace.

this has thrown me off buying one tbh.

Soldato
so Sony are going to charge you almost £800 to repair it??

that is robbery at its best, i doubt the screen would cost them £200 to replace.

this has thrown me off buying one tbh.

Sony are quoting £750 fitted, £200 of that is labour and courier costs. leaving £550, this will be the retail cost of screen, bear in mind the very rare nature of this screen and resolution size bumps the cost up, you can buy a 15.4 for £80 but these are produced in massive quatities lowering the price, this screen will be a custom made screen for Sony so I would say purchase price would be around £250 plus sonys markup.

Soldato
OP
, this screen will be a custom made screen for Sony so I would say purchase price would be around £250 plus sonys markup.

If I could get a screen for that amount id certainly give it a go, its going to be next to impossible so all I can do is either hold onto it and hope a few more become available on auction sites in the future or cut my losses and get rid, or try the insurance claim i guess, oh well could be worse!

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Sony are quoting £750 fitted, £200 of that is labour and courier costs. leaving £550, this will be the retail cost of screen, bear in mind the very rare nature of this screen and resolution size bumps the cost up, you can buy a 15.4 for £80 but these are produced in massive quatities lowering the price, this screen will be a custom made screen for Sony so I would say purchase price would be around £250 plus sonys markup.

rubbish! the OEM cost of the screen to sony would be no more than £60

Soldato
OP
rubbish! the OEM cost of the screen to sony would be no more than £60

As much as I wished that was true I somehow doubt it, the screens are not used in any other machine therefore not produced in mass volumes to get the price that low, plus the price of panels has risen in the past few months, so a friend who used to work for PGE (GNR LCD's) has told me

Back
Top Bottom