New Lounge PC build help

Associate
Hi all,

I have been playing the Call of Duty beta this weekend and really enjoyed PC gaming in our lounge.

This left me in a predicament as I am not wanting to permanently or every time move my PC from my office into the lounge. So I have been coming up with ideas to build a cheap lounge gaming PC to play COD and VR Games such as Beat Saber.

Budget wise to convince the wife less than £500 please.

In my main build I have two 980Ti's in SLI, I am proposing to take the Asus Strix out of this and use in my lounge build and the 128GB Samsung SSD along with:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £563.04 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Any suggestions, changes or enhancements?

Edits:
  • TV native Resolution 3840*2160.
  • Any build form factor is acceptable (PC will be hidden anyway)
  • Reusing Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 SSD which is currently not in use
  • Budget upgraded to £500
  • Needs to allow for SLI in the future (will be adding my second 980Ti to this build when I upgrade to a "3080Ti")
MTIA

Dan

Last edited:
Soldato
Form factor of the build has no impact as it will either be hidden behind a TV cabinet or the sofa - so whatever is best is fine for me.

Ahhh I see... If your using the 980 from your current build and are looking for cheapest possible... How about using the Board you have picked with a Ryzen 1200 it's a cheap older Gen that will fit into the board selected but performs well, instead of the 3200G

Associate
OP
Ahhh I see... If your using the 980 from your current build and are looking for cheapest possible... How about using the Board you have picked with a Ryzen 1200 it's a cheap older Gen that will fit into the board selected but performs well, instead of the 3200G
Ryzen 1200 looks to be about £30 cheaper, 600Mhz slower and released 2 years ago - which doesn't seem like a great deal. Unless the motherboard needed for the 3200 is going to be a much higher premium?

Soldato
The G series CPU (APU) isn't necessary as the integrated graphics won't be useful over your 980 Ti. Unless you're concerned about the reliability of the card.

See if you can step up to a 3600 as that seems to be a pretty great CPU for performance value.

I don't believe A320 got BIOS updates for Zen 2. I may be wrong but either way it won't be a great motherboard for features or power delivery. You want at least a B450 IMO.

Given your budget I'd suggest looking for some parts second hand. I'd struggle to build even a no-graphics setup for £300 new. A decent PSU to feed a 980 Ti will cost you £80-100 at the very least if going new. Don't cheap out on the PSU for one of the hungriest cards released.

Associate
OP
The G series CPU (APU) isn't necessary as the integrated graphics won't be useful over your 980 Ti. Unless you're concerned about the reliability of the card.

See if you can step up to a 3600 as that seems to be a pretty great CPU for performance value.

I don't believe A320 got BIOS updates for Zen 2. I may be wrong but either way it won't be a great motherboard for features or power delivery. You want at least a B450 IMO.

Given your budget I'd suggest looking for some parts second hand. I'd struggle to build even a no-graphics setup for £300 new. A decent PSU to feed a 980 Ti will cost you £80-100 at the very least if going new. Don't cheap out on the PSU for one of the hungriest cards released.

Good point on the CPU over APU, however at £200 for a 3600 over a 3200G at £88 even if I don’t use the integrated graphics, the price to cores and clock speed seems worth sticking with the 3200.

Will look at the prices of a B450 board instead. Can probably amend budget to £400 to be honest just have to convince the wife a bit better. I was hoping my spare 500w kolink would be enough - although will look at others

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Associate
That motherboard is very likely going to need a BIOS update before you can use the R3 3200G. Do you have a 1st/2nd gen Ryzen CPU to perform the BIOS update?

I have a Kolink 500W PSU spare at home I plan to use
I personally wouldn't want to risk using that PSU with a GTX 980 Ti in the same system.

Back
Top Bottom