New mobo and gpu, will I need a new psu?

rlm

rlm

Associate
I currently have an Fx53 with a 6800 ultra on a Msi Neo2 platinum board, this is running with a thermaltake 480 watt silent purepower psu.

My question is that on friday, when I plan to buy a 1900Xt and a Dfi nf4 mobo (with the imminent release of oblivion) will I need to buy a new psu too? I know that the pci-e boards require a 24 pin connection to the mobo for power, but as I understand it these extra 4 pins are just for stability and not always used? will I get away with keeping the same psu for the first month, if I dont overclock.

Thanks

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
With the components above being bought what would you recommend as a suitable psu replacement, preferably sub 100, can stretch if needbe though.

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
Thanks, and final question (no promises) I'm tempted to get some more memory, but don't want to pay for 2x1gb. Could I buy some 2nd hand geil value ram 2x512 to bump me up to 2gb for now and see a decent performance gain, again this would be for oblivion which would no doubt be happier with the extra ram, but pairing this with my current ocz 3200eb does make me doubt what actual performance increase i would see. I just dont want to spend loads becuase I'll do a full upgrade when conroe and its competition is around properly.

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
Not only am I wating for advances in tech, I cant afford a full upgrade right now and don't think I can justify on shelling out on a new cpu when I want to run my fx53 till the end of the year, its already pretty much worthless so I'm not concerned with depreciation.

Back
Top Bottom