New mobo + cpu please help cant boot!

Associate
Just got a new X2 4200 and a second hand Asrock dual (from popular auction site) i'm starting to think the boards not right.
Plugged everything in and switched on.
It posted bios, i caught a glimpse of the processor detected at 2.2ghz then it goes to next screen saying please insert a bootable disk etc. That's not the funny bit. The funny bit is the keyboard doesn't seem to work.. you can't F2 into bios or even press any key to continue when it halts.
I've tried both a USB and a PS2 keyboard both of which i know work. The lights on the KB flash when u plug in the PS2 one, but numlock capslock etc don't light up when you push them
Also i tried plugging in a hard drive with XP on it granted it was for my old mobo, but it won't even boot off it.. not even an xp boot screen, just the no bootable media detected.
Is the mobo screwed??
i'm about pulling my hair out, so if anyone can reply or hell even phone me on 07876463129 (voda) i would be really greatful. cheerz.

Have you tried pressing DEL to get into the bios? Some are F2 but most are the DEL key!

Are you sure the Processor and HSF are seated correctly?

What PSU are you using? If it's from the one in your sig chances are it's not ATX2.0 compliant and would cause you problems

tried del, as i said even when it asks you to press any key it still doesn't accept it.
It is booting bios and that the PSU is ATX2.0 450W not sure of make. It just doesn't seem to be picking up on my HDD's CDROM or Keyboard!!! It doesn't even hault on bootup when there's no keyboard in at all.

Not good if it's knacked.... where can i source an AGP 939 board before friday?? ocuk have one or two, dunno which one to get though.. i thought the Asrock one was the best though. I'm so tempted to say screw you Asrock and go order an asus or dfi board and sell the bloody 2 month old X850XT AGP...

might be a sign to go pci-e ;) My x850xt went for £165 a few weeks ago from the same place you got your motherboard so might be wise to sell while its still going for a good price and getting an x1800xt for £200.

Just got a new X2 4200 and a second hand Asrock dual (from popular auction site) i'm starting to think the boards not right.

Are you trying to boot from an old installation and if so why would the chipset etc work if its differant mobo

Or am i missing the point?

Ruhbarb said:
Are you trying to boot from an old installation and if so why would the chipset etc work if its differant mobo

Or am i missing the point?
I cant boot from damn all... originally i had the DVDRW plugged into ide and a spanking new SATA in. Was gonna boot of the XP CD and do a fresh install, but since i can't get into bios cos of no keyboard i can't change any settings.
You'd think an old install would atleast attempt to boot, even if it reset itself after an error

Sounds like a dud if you have the manual you could check the jumpers and try booting with the minimum of hardware else I would dump it fast.

is it possible that it's my power supply that's causing my problems?
I kinda figured that with power supplies, if they didn't work they either just didn't turn on, or reset themselves or something like that... I've never heard of a power supply messing with a system in this way.
Anyway, spoke to the guy i bought the board from and he said he still has the recipt for the board, so i've ordered another one from another web site, and if it works fine with me he said i could send him his board back and would get a refund, where he would also send the board back to where he bought it.

Back
Top Bottom